When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Raleigh lady's Bicycle

-
Good eye! I didn't even notice that when I first looked. Was this just for the front wheel? Would radial spokes even be strong enough for the rear wheel?
From what I've read......the radial spoke front wheel was for the sporty models like Raleigh Record Ace. For weight savings. I don't believe that they did so for the rear wheels.

My 1936 Raleigh is now complete, with the exception of adding a warning bell.

Check out my recently added spring loaded dual drop down rear kick stand!

Last edited:
I recently reconditioned a 1975 Raleigh Tourist that had real problems with the paint, especially the badly oxidized paint on the fenders. The paint is black, so I tried Kiwi black paste shoe polish in the flat can. It conditioned the oxidation much better than I thought, and gave a nice soft shine when buffed. I put some carnuba paste wax on top of the shoe polish and I’m very happy with the results. Here are my before and after pics.
5B1F1AEA-8107-4746-A4A1-F4DDB961B791.jpeg

ADD10AB3-CF1A-4B5C-98D8-5FF8719D9498.jpeg

I recently reconditioned a 1975 Raleigh Tourist that had real problems with the paint, especially the badly oxidized paint on the fenders. The paint is black, so I tried Kiwi black paste shoe polish in the flat can. It conditioned the oxidation much better than I thought, and gave a nice soft shine when buffed. I put some carnuba paste wax on top of the shoe polish and I’m very happy with the results. Here are my before and after pics.
View attachment 1128384

View attachment 1128385
Your Raleigh DL-1 really cleaned up nice! I think you made the right choice to replace the non-stock seat with a Brooks B66. You still need to reconnect the 3 speed shifter and cable!

Your Raleigh DL-1 really cleaned up nice! I think you made the right choice to replace the non-stock seat with a Brooks B66. You still need to reconnect the 3 speed shifter and cable!
Yep, and the rod brakes, too. Close to finishing up the project and wanted to see it in the sun.

My way forward on dead (oxidized) paint. It works especially well on Raleighs...always be careful on decals and don't monkey with silkscreened images.

20171025_115630.jpg

20171031_125556.jpg

20171031_083901.jpg

Back