When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Roadmaster Flying Falcon

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I like 3 speed balloon tire bikes and I've had a 1954 Schwinn Jaguar for a while, but these Roadmasters seem harder to find. I finally picked this up last summer and comparing it to the example @Dave Stromberger has posted, it struck me that the head badge, seat post decal and truss rods are different. I have what I believe is a 1953 Roadmaster catalog and there's no mention of this model, but this bike is all original as far as I can tell, and I started wondering if Roadmaster would really build two different versions of one bike in the same year. So I did some digging, and in the August 1953 issue of Boys' Life (Boy Scouts of America), there's a half page ad for "The New AMF Roadmaster Flying Falcon". The earliest ad I've seen for the Jaguar is October 1953, so now it looks like the Roadmaster was a mid-year introduction and AMF got the jump on Schwinn, at least by a couple of months. Maybe this is old hat to some people, but it was news to me. Does anybody know of any earlier ads for either bike?

IMG_2915.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

IMG_2961_Cropped.PNG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2917_Cropped.PNG

IMG_2921_Cropped.PNG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2969_Cropped.PNG

IMG_2924.JPG

AdScan2.PNG

That's pretty interesting since I only mess with the Schwinns. The earliest serial number stamping that I've seen on the Jaguar was September 53 and the majority that have shown up were October stampings. The Jag print in Findley's scans was a page from the Schwinn Reporter and not a public ad. That may have been the first piece of printed lit on the Jag and the bike was an early 54 entry in late 53.

I like the bow pedals on the Roadmaster. Are they Union pedals?

That's pretty interesting since I only mess with the Schwinns. The earliest serial number stamping that I've seen on the Jaguar was September 53 and the majority that have shown up were October stampings. The Jag print in Findley's scans was a page from the Schwinn Reporter and not a public ad. That may have been the first piece of printed lit on the Jag and the bike was an early 54 entry in late 53.

To be honest, I don't know. I'll have to see if there's any markings I can get a picture of.

This balloon tire version of the Flying Falcon is a two year bike, like the Jag, which may account for the differences. I have another one of these in pieces that has the same truss rods and badge as yours.
Well if you've still got all the paint, you're ahead of me! I have no idea what happened to the paint on this one!

Yes i believe they are. My 1960 Roadmaster Jet Pilot has the same style pedals as the Flying Falcon. Good eye. Razin.

Well if you've still got all the paint, you're ahead of me! I have no idea what happened to the paint on this one!
Probably just poor paint preparation. Lack of a good coat of primer goes along way towards long lasting paint job. When your building upwards of 600-700 bikes a day their were probably issues with the quality of said painting techniques of the day were questionable at best.

I like 3 speed balloon tire bikes and I've had a 1954 Schwinn Jaguar for a while, but these Roadmasters seem harder to find. I finally picked this up last summer and comparing it to the example @Dave Stromberger has posted, it struck me that the head badge, seat post decal and truss rods are different. I have what I believe is a 1953 Roadmaster catalog and there's no mention of this model, but this bike is all original as far as I can tell, and I started wondering if Roadmaster would really build two different versions of one bike in the same year. So I did some digging, and in the August 1953 issue of Boys' Life (Boy Scouts of America), there's a half page ad for "The New AMF Roadmaster Flying Falcon". The earliest ad I've seen for the Jaguar is October 1953, so now it looks like the Roadmaster was a mid-year introduction and AMF got the jump on Schwinn, at least by a couple of months. Maybe this is old hat to some people, but it was news to me. Does anybody know of any earlier ads for either bike?

View attachment 1131393

View attachment 1131394

View attachment 1131396

View attachment 1131397

View attachment 1131398

View attachment 1131399

View attachment 1131400

View attachment 1131401

View attachment 1131402

View attachment 1131403

View attachment 1131404

View attachment 1131405
What is the green bike in the back ground of picture #5? Just wondering. Thanks. Razin.

Back