When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I can totally understand leaving common low end 'crusty' bikes 'as - is'....but if something is complete...
but toasted and restorable and Deluxe or Rare/ exotic..... Restore it.
Do it right! Make the bike glow like it rolled off the showroom floor!

Personally the whole rusty bike thing is getting old to me. Laziness... I don't want bikes sitting around here that
look like junk. Fact of the matter is ...due to expense and time and effort involved in doing thorough restorations...
the new breed of collector for the most part would rather live with a rusty roached out bike than than take the
time to restore it....or learn the process of restoration
Although..I do agree .....not worth the expense restoring low value plain jane or common bikes..... Unless you can do the work
yourself and have access to reasonable plating etc and other restoration services and its affordable.

NICE condition unrestored bikes are always top of the game.... but I have way more respect for the collector
who owns a rare bike, that was junk, rusted and rough, and took the time to do a competent job restoring
it ...than I do the collector who just bought something with the big wallet unrestored and bitchin'
even tho the unrestored bike is a better commodity or investment typically
my 2 cents

I like patina. And this bike came to me this way from a fellow CABER.
D785E2E9-ECD9-419D-AEB0-A07B6E5989BD.jpeg

40B2ED1D-D1E8-4747-9941-F502F93D4866.jpeg

EB89EB72-BBBD-4217-87B4-ED47697B9C8B.jpeg

1443AC2A-6437-4FB5-8C40-3D90E74DE0C1.jpeg

09255B96-6AFF-4B91-AB14-BBE3DEBE7414.jpeg

5FA32909-5BF1-4877-9ADB-C0BDFF102B2C.jpeg

Not original paint, not original parts, but it all matches. And I’ve no plans on restoring it. However I do plan on adding new spokes to the wheels so I can actually ride it and enjoy it

With all do respect. Can I ask the difference between “redone” and “restored” ?
Just want to get my future builds right.
Good question. A restored bike is EXACTLY as it came originally with maybe a few aftermarket pieces.A redone bike is a bike that is made ride able again with incorrect parts,paint,striping,seat,pedals etc. and is actually more of a custom bike made the way the owner likes

To each their own ... I prefer original bicycles .. surface rust doesn't hurt the value ... it shows the history & I think if the bicycle could tell us it's life's story ... I don't need a clean slate ... embrace what you have ... just a full service on a vintage beauty is all that's needed in what I like to find .. there is always hidden potential ...you never know what's beneath a restoration ... in any hobby or collectible ... many times the cost outweighs the value .. below is one that was brought back with OA bath & some time & patience ... Perfect

Riding almost every weekend I run into a lot of people who share great stories on what they had .. what they have currently .. great fun & much respect for original riders out there ... Ridden not Hidden .. Frank

Last edited:
Back