When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Schwinn BA96

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
First a huge thanks to @ZE52414 for getting this one to me. I know it looks pretty crusty and it is a 16" frame but I see a lot of potential in this bike. Most everything I have has all the bells and whistles and I like this one because, although it is a base level bike, it has a (working) locking fork and the early Forebrake with the short lever. Actually 1937 was the first year for the Forebrake. The bike has been rode hard and put away wet but is essentially all there. The plan is to completely disassemble, clean/replace, and service.

I've already started and so far am very pleased with what I'm seeing. This is a Liberty (Chicago Cycle Supply) badged bike and is reverse painted cream, a medium blue (ChiCyCo dark blue?), with black pins. In 1938 Schwinn called this model the "Double Bar Roadster" which is not to be confused with the Double (Curved)Bar Roadster (Model BA67). Hopefully this one will be pretty straight forward but I'm sure something will throw me a curve before its all over and I really don't look forward to lacing that front hub because they are a PITA! V/r Shawn

Finally public. It’s been hard not to share the pics Z shared with me when he found it, such a cool bike. First gen early lever, original cable, killer paint scheme - it’s a winner. I too look forward to seeing it cleaned up. Grips, reflector, correct stem and it’s complete. Seat cover and fresh rolling rubber and it’s a rider. I’m jealous, so I need a project apparently.

Finally public. It’s been hard not to share the pics Z shared with me when he found it, such a cool bike. First gen early lever, original cable, killer paint scheme - it’s a winner. I too look forward to seeing it cleaned up. Grips, reflector, correct stem and it’s complete. Seat cover and fresh rolling rubber and it’s a rider. I’m jealous, so I need a project apparently.
Same!!!

Reactions: JLF
Here is the progress so far. For those that voted to leave it crusty-sorry. The bike had varnish? over the blue and some other places which came off pretty easy with lacquer thinner. I had to be really careful though because if those black pins even whiffed the thinner they disappeared! The rear fender is still pretty rough but looks a lot better than it did. I have a beat up reflector until I find an upgrade and added a 1937 St Louis plate I had. I'll have to use the stem it has for now and may just leave it. I started on the wheels and wound up cutting about half the spokes out. I've got Bob U. lined up to recover the saddle top but I'm leaving the chassis as-is. I have an original chrome guard that I was going to have re-chromed for one of my other Motorbike restorations but am going to swap out the crusty one for it and have it re-chromed instead. Hopefully have it rolling in a few weeks. V/r Shawn

It went to a great home! Keep it up Shawn I’m really curious to see how this one turns out! Looks night and day different already!

Back