When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus effect on bike hobby?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Bike TP holders?
84b8a9491fc4224f5fed34dde3f84159.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

If it continues into the summer and fall, as predicted, it will have a major effect.

The first phase is where larger gatherings like swap meets and rides drop off the calendar. The in-person auctions will drop as well. Online auctions will take place, but in some cases online is not yet a substitute for in-person (swap meets are a good example). If things are not contained, and the limits on gatherings keep dropping or if infections get worse, then one-off sales in-person will follow (craigslist, facebook, etc). Online sales will remain at that point, but if the carriers experience work stoppages, then online sales will drop too. We've gone from gatherings of 500 people, to 250, to 50, and now 10. That's a serious recommendation. The local Lowes has announced that if there is any exposure of employees there, the store will close for 2 weeks at minimum. If your local Fed Ex or UPS or USPS branch closes for several weeks, you're looking at serious problems.

So best case scenario, sales are flat and in-person meets and rides drop off. Worst case scenario - full-scale depression. We're in uncharted territory, at least within this lifetime because we have an economic downturn compounded by quarantines - not just a simple downturn.

Will effect the bike shows.Less buyers,less sellers. The prices will probably be lower because of smaller crowds. I feel it will effect all types of events if things dont stabilize out by summer. Things are bad right now and money may be tight in the summer. Economy may continue slowing down and people will have less money to spend.

I hate to be so grim but there are a lot of old timers in this hobby. I could see where there could be a good bit of inventory freed up as a result of the "head count reduction" in the hobby. But being a glass half empty kinda guy I'm sure most of us will be way too broke to capitalize on it. Its possible there will be a pretty sudden influx of supply and an equally sudden drop in demand for old bikes. I don't think I need to explain how that will work out. I hope I'm wrong but this thing is just getting started.

Last edited:
Yesterday I sold the two bikes that I had listed on CL. I didn't shake hands at the close of the deal like I usually do and the small talk was kept to a minimum. Took the money in one hand and stashed it while using my other hand to open the doors etc. Paranoid? maybe so, maybe no. Not gonna list the other ones I wanna sell right now.
At least the bikes are gone I am going to give the selling a break for awhile also

Today I recieved an email from my bank advising everyone that the lobby is closed except for personal appointments (access to safety deposit boxes, etc.) And all banking should be done at the ATM and drive-through. The more preparations we take now, the quicker we can get back to normal - whatever that is.

Only about 12 riders showed for our monthly ride yesterday :(and there were fewer people out & about generally, which was great!

Things will slow a bit in the market. People are hanging on to their money until things stabilize. Unless they find a roll of toilet paper or something else senseless to stock up on.(toilet paper has never cured a respiratory issue...... :rolleyes: ) Those with a pile of cash laying around will continue to acquire top end bikes at a discount.

And yes, unfortunately many bank accounts will suffer for a while due to trying to keep this from spreading with things shut down.

But it will pass. I have more than enough stuff to keep me busy for a verrrrry long time so don't have any NEEDS. As far as I know, we are having our Old Bikes Club Spring swap on 4/4 in Denver!! You are all welcome to attend!!! :):):)(unless you shouldn't.....)

Back