When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus effect on bike hobby?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hate to say but lucky I don’t live off of parts sales.

seems that this board is 50/50 taking it seriously and not.
This of it as -just like the times you Buy that extra parts in case you don’t have it at home. You should probably listen to everyone and stay the F home and isolate.

even as joke. Like that guy posting the the TP in the classifieds. Real or not. supply chains should last a month or two out. So no need to horde.

if you are a hoarder, oh what hell am I saying this is bike collectors board?? Most all hoarders!!

I even feel odd looking at Ebay and buying non essentials. But is might be too early to call it a good time to buy. just wait till.. well.. anyways.

I told people at work, worst case, you will know at least three people that will get it. And you may know someone that will die from it. It is unfortunate, but for not listening to the recommendations everyone is giving. That is what happens.

I’ve been told up to eight weeks work from home. I think I need to keep that back up career in the back of my mind. If it all goes to $hit. Even the people that have the paid time off or work from home will get the call saying they are not needed.

so I would have say that I’m in the middle (both age wise and listening to the man) I’m playing it safe and lucky I can do so.

The older crowd here needs to really take care of themselves and play it save also.

all I can say is good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Just a small blip in a long term hobby, but it could be a concern for a while, now I have no excuse not to stay home and get some projects done!, oh sh#t, I'd better start working on my taxes!, and this was today's project between storms. Got this as a box of parts. 46 and not supposed to have S2's but just wanted to get it rolling. Tomorrows project 54 Jaguar.

6169D039-4F65-4B7C-91BE-D14131DDA891.jpeg

Last edited:
I worry more about buying stuff from Florida/Georgia and huge cockroaches.

No joke. I worry about that stuff also. You can never tell what you will find inside a package or even a frame. I was dismantling a '77 Fuji Special Racer. When I pulled off the drive-side BB cup, I noticed a "string" hanging out of the bottom of the down tube. I pulled it and got a nice surprise!

6raMoyN.jpg

No cheese for this guy!

Makes me wonder... has this little feller been inside that bike since 1977? Is this a Japanese mouse?

Seriously though, Covid19 is just an excuse to dig down and work on my bikes. The Wife Unit declared Sunday to be a bike inventory day. She walked behind me with a spreadsheet while I rattled off make, model, color, size, serial number, etc. Looks like I got 48 bikes to restore, so I don't have any time to get sick with the flu. ;)

I've been expecting the collectables market to be bad this year, election years are always bad for business and the last one was the worst I have seen. The economic impact of this virus is going to hit everyone hard, and the misinformation circulating on the internet is going to make for a particularly crazy election. I am not optimistic.

Business shutdowns are coming soon here. Thinking I will spend the next month or so cleaning my my basement.

Business as usual for me as well.

Been looking at what guys are saying about this on other websites associated with my hobbies and it does appear to be a consensus of relative calm and going about ones hobby undeterred. For me I'm buying parts and supplies as usual trying to get things done as usual. As with almost everything, it's the reaction to problems that are the more serious threat than the problem itself. Aside from the closings, people in general around here are behaving normally. Grocery stores are very busy but I blame that on the the worry about hoarding. Even non hoarding types like myself have to think about getting what we'll need because of hoarders. Probably the best thing anyone can do to stay rational and calm is to turn off the fake news which pretty much is all of it. Obviously no one knows where this is going or when it's going to end, they the media only know how to sensationalize. (present information about (something) in a way that provokes public interest and excitement, at the expense of accuracy.)

The hospital, where I work part time, is under stress and we already have had a good number of infected. ( There are 26 nurses and personnel in quarantine because of this.)
In our boiler room, we got deemed "essential", as if we don't show up, hospital shuts down.
We are prepping to quarantine ourselves in our area and limiting contact with other staff and patients.
I requested a sign that says "essential person", that I could put on the fender of my truck, so I can drive real fast and park when I want, like an ambassador.
The answer I got for that, wasn't very encouraging.
As for the bike hobby, I don't see how the spring events will happen.
This hobby is not going away, it never will.
It may slow down, even stop when online sales get hurt by limited delivery.
But it won't go away, the bikes are too cool!

I want a couple bikes out there but my business is not required for survival and i already was balancing a daughter with cancers budget so i am paid up a month in advance for everything hoping to survive.

I work with two museums both were closed over weekend we were looking at a bike got emails from board there will be no spending until further notice. So much for the $500 over limit for approval bike i wanted for Veterens Home Museum.

This if it lasts will suck down some collections and fill up others.

You need not fear about no deliveries. I work for UPS and we received a message yesterday from the crystal palace (top level management) that we’re an essential service and will work regardless of what happens. With everyone staying home and buying online......Profit profit profit.

Just a small blip in a long term hobby, but it could be a concern for a while, a now I have no excuse not to stay home and get some projects done!, oh sh#t, I'd better start working on my taxes!, and this was today's project between storms. Got this as a box of parts. 46 and not supposed to have S2's but just wanted to get it rolling. Tomorrows project 54 Jaguar.
View attachment 1157235

View attachment 1157234
BTW, KICK AZZ Colson in the back ground...even has my fantasy color;) and perfect patina! Tire selection - so cool! This is the bike and style that got me into the hobby - and I still don't have one! Dag, what was this thread about????

Back