When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Replica?" turn of the century British Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1951 C.W.S

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello
I have no personal photos but some photos online will show you what i'm after , the reason im posting is that i need some advice to help me make a 1975 Raleigh DL-1 to look older ( I thank you in advance for your help )
link to the last try at this https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1935-raleigh-from-scrach.149280/
Era looking for 1900-1925-30
Also some parts im looking for
-28 in full chain guard
-Quadrant shifter
-used 2-3 spring brooks saddle
-era correct grips

51x5bZqy9L1LoeFdpTeIy1zJQMTKz6ceo61416HL_&usqp=CAU.jpg
DL-1 as mine is

Below are some likenesses that i would like to replicate
1918_sunbeam_28inch_02.jpg
5TOlvwbtWDlaG_eVTfrAlwe9RL0ahVmsYCSOv9qKb&usqp=CAU.jpg
The design of the big Raleigh roadsters goes back to the first ...
1902_sunbeam_gents_01.jpg

Last edited:
You'll also want to drop the chrome parts and go to nickel plated or black painted, if you're looking to go pre-1925.

Many of the early bikes also do not have a white tail, but instead are just mono-color on the rear fender.

You'll probably want to go to differently shaped front bars if you have the wide-set, US-pattern DL-1 bars. You may have luck finding the old-style "narrow" bars for the Raleigh.

You're probably looking at importing many parts because pre-1925 English bikes and parts are rare in the US.

You probably want to do this on an incomplete or rough condition bike - the modifications are pretty extensive if you're trying to go all-out on the look. On the plus side, one option is to get a bike with rough chrome and just de-plate and go to black-out.

Last edited:
@SirMike1983 How do you de-plate?(my chrome is eh and i would be willing to do this
The fenders i have are in ok condition but i fear painting them , i did that before and it looked horrible! Any tips on painting that white part black?
Who might have a pair of narrow rod brake bars?( would wood grips be apropriate)
Thank you

I have several British bike and I would recommend selling yours and buying what u want the British bikes don’t cost a lot It would cost you more to buy those parts and it work to buy a complete bike
Sound advice.
You'll also want to drop the chrome parts and go to nickel plated or black painted, if you're looking to go pre-1925.

Many of the early bikes also do not have a white tail, but instead are just mono-color on the rear fender.

You'll probably want to go to differently shaped front bars if you have the wide-set, US-pattern DL-1 bars. You may have luck finding the old-style "narrow" bars for the Raleigh.

You're probably looking at importing many parts because pre-1925 English bikes and parts are rare in the US.

You probably want to do this on an incomplete or rough condition bike - the modifications are pretty extensive if you're trying to go all-out on the look. On the plus side, one option is to get a bike with rough chrome and just de-plate and go to black-out.
Also sound advice.

The shipping costs alone would render this somewhat of a folly.

I can keep an eye out for you across the pond if you like; these bikes can be had for pretty reasonable prices, but again, shipping is pricey.

And that 'DL-1' looks in fantastic condition, might be a shame to do what you're thinking.

@dnc1 I would love to have you keep an eye out if that's not a problem
My dl-1 is in almost that good of shape but alas thats not mine
I am looking to get rid of 2 of my bikes so i might be able to pay for such a item

I'll keep an eye out, but bear in mind the current difficult situation worldwide.

I have been thinking about that .
I try not to be picky but id like something built before 1930
P.s the bikes im looking to get rid of are my 69 Raleigh And my 73 Hiawatha

Back