When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Schwinn New World VW1M with Factory Options

-

HUFFMANBILL

Finally riding a big boys bike
I decided to post some pictures of one of my WWII Schwinn lightweight '' Victory'' bikes. This one is a 1942 Schwinn VW1M , which was most likely manufactured between April - Sept., 1942. The serial number appears to be I14584 . The bike appears to be mostly original except for a small amount of touch up paint on the frame, fenders and black-out parts due to chips and paint loss. The rims were repainted Ivory due to a previous paint job where someone had used the wrong color. The frame and fender touch-up was done useing Schwinn Maroon color rattle - can to perfectly match the original paint. The interesting points on this particular bike are the original Schwinn factory options included. This bike came with the A S & CO 1/2'' pitch chain-ring with the 3 piece crank all in black finish as well as the AS goose-neck stem, also in black. The saddle is the optional Mesinger leather sliding rail seat. I have included pictures of a March 1942 American Bicyclist magazine Ad. for the War-Time Schwinn New World Model VW1M, which includes the options available at that time. After cleaning and re-lubricating all the internal components and adding a new set of tires and tubes she is a fine riding bike.

Regards,
Bill

Beautiful machine. If you haven't got it onto @Miq 's database thread I'm sure he would appreciate it. Do you have a photo of the sn?

@HUFFMANBILL This is a great victory bike! @Jim Barnard had posted pics of it about a year ago. This is the earliest serial New World we have seen blackout parts on and has a single rear wire mudguard stay.
1586318470408.png

Thank you for posting the war time advertisements for these victory New Worlds. I have never seen those before. Very good proof that more than just cycle trucks were produced during the war. "Parking Stands, Chain Guards, and Chrome Finish...Have been Eliminated" :cool:

3 piece crank and hand stamp serial on this war time beauty. @GTs58 will notice that its one of the last brazed bottom brackets before the electro-forging started later that year.

1586317890962.png

Thanks for looping me in @3-speeder !

Besides a beautiful bike, it's great having that ad!! It's the first time I've seen a Schwinn ad from during that time period stating that this would be the only available model. Nice piece of history.

I noticed this doesn't have the peaked fenders all the NWs had and has the pointed front fender you would find on the paramount and superior tourist of the same year. It also has the razor stem you found on the superior tourist.

@HUFFMANBILL This is a great victory bike! @Jim Barnard had posted pics of it about a year ago. This is the earliest serial New World we have seen blackout parts on and has a single rear wire mudguard stay.
View attachment 1169801
Thank you for posting the war time advertisements for these victory New Worlds. I have never seen those before. Very good proof that more than just cycle trucks were produced during the war. "Parking Stands, Chain Guards, and Chrome Finish...Have been Eliminated" :cool:

3 piece crank and hand stamp serial on this war time beauty. @GTs58 will notice that its one of the last brazed bottom brackets before the electro-forging started later that year.

View attachment 1169798

Thanks for looping me in @3-speeder !
Is it just me or does anybody else see E14584? It COULD be an "I", but it looks like a poorly stamped "E" to me. And what's the decal on the seat post between the "Hat in the Ring" and the "Schwinn Quality" decals? Killer bike in any case!

Back