When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's a few photo's I took recently @Rivnut . Maybe these will tell a story. Mine is a '64 Spaceliner . I've never messed with the Springer Set up . I hope these help. - Curt - :)

View attachment 1170993

View attachment 1170994

View attachment 1170995

View attachment 1170996

View attachment 1170997
Really nice spacelinet. I just love these bikes. Iv'e had three of these bikes. Two space liners and one flight liner. I am looking for the truss rod that goes from the top spring to the bottom rockers. If you might have one laying around collecting dust let me know. Thanks and ride on. Razin.

Curtis,
Thanks for the pictures. Gives me a reference besides the pictures of my own.
As I was looking at the pictures, I had a thought that perhaps something that will help me and anyone else getting into disassembling would be to know in what position is the fork in when there is no tension in the spring?

Success so far. The fender and braces came off by just removing the bolts/nuts at the fork. I did take the bolt out at the top by the spring but I don't think it was necessary. Now on to the next question. To remove the actual spring from the fork, do I pry off the caps on the end of the rod that acts as the axis for the spring then work that rod out?

Bump TTT
Still waiting to hear from someone/ anyone as to what the process is to pull the spring from the frame/fork on a JC Higgins '59 Flightliner. I don't want to do something wrong and irreversible.
Thanks,
Ed

Still waiting to hear from someone/ anyone as to what the process is to pull the spring from the frame/fork on a JC Higgins '59 Flightliner. I don't want to do something wrong and irreversible.

I'd like to know as well. Never had mine apart. This would be good info. Someone has to know. :p

Nothing to do this morning. Checked my emails, drank a couple of cups of coffee, nothing on TV so I thought what the heck. I went to my "bike garage" in the lower level of the house and took a chance. My assumption was correct. :) The chrome plated caps on the end of the rod that runs through the spring are nothing more than push nuts or capped starlocks, once you get some space between them and the bracket, they pop off. The shaft is 1/2" in diameter. I found this online and they should work fine if an OA bath doesn't get rid of the rust on mine. It looks reusable, but.......

1587057794289.png

Item # 137194 Model # 880514
Hillman 1/2-in Nickel Axle Push Nut
at Lowes.

The hardest part of my journey on this bike (so far) has been the removal of the bottom race on the steer tube. Had to get that off in order to remove the chrome plated fork crown.

Short story. I thought that it was weird that all of the chrome pieces on the bike (everyone one of them) had been painted with an aluminum paint. Some orange citrus paint remover made quick work of that. I got down to my last piece, which was the rear wheel. to remove the aluminum paint from it and lo and behold, there was a painted rim under the aluminum paint. Now I know why everything else was painted aluminum; apparently it was easier to take the bike apart and paint everything rather than find a correct chrome wheel. Off to the parts bikes to see what's out there. For $10, I bought a Hiawatha "space bike" just for emergencies. Looks like it's going to pay off.

IF anyone is interested, I'll post some pictures of the individual parts that came off of the springer set up.

Ed

None are real rare. They were made and sold by the thousands. Condition more than anything will bring up the price as most didn't survive in good condition. Roger

What is the rarest model spaceliner or similar?
The rarest model is is the one in pristine condition with all original parts. Those are really hard to come by. Not many have survived in good, unmolested, condition.
I would guess the 64/65 deluxe versions are probably most difficult to find because they were 1) top of the line, and 2) made for only two model years versus 3 for the 7-tank design.

I've had my '64 Spaceliner for about 4 years now. It's not near correct , but it's way better than when I got it . Unfortunately my original Sears Allstate tires had to be replaced :cry: Put Some Kenda tires on so I could ride it again................and while I was at it , I snuck a Decal in on the upper part of the seat post tube . :) Now were headin' somewhere ! :poutingcat: - AND - THEN - Personalized it with my name on a plate . ;) I guess it's time to paint the rack to match the tank ! ( Yes , I've been Slackin ' ) :astonished: Ride Safe !! And Stay Safe !

DSCF3366.JPG

DSCF3371.JPG

DSCF3365.JPG

DSCF3374.JPG

Back