When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My heart is broken. RIP Mikey.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
PS note: if do you gather together to present respect,well earned!!! Take some goods photos of the event for those who lives far away! Like me but shares your loss!!! Keep riding in two wheels!!!

Here's a shot he sent me a couple years ago. Mike climbing El Capitan in 1988.
At this point, Mike was not an experienced climber, but he had met Charles Cole, founder of 510 the climbing shoe company and convinced Cole to help him climb Half Dome. An astonishing feat for a novice climber and a testament to Leebolts athletic ability and agility, and sheer determination. He was fearless and wildly adventurous. He didn't talk much about things like that, he just did it, then maybe told you about it later, or sent you a photo like this one decades after the fact.

If you look at his posts here, when someone would compliment his talent or ability he would always defer, and say he was just happy to play in the sandbox with those more accomplished than himself, but I know few people more accomplished, or more humble.

I met Mike over 25+ years ago after selling him a Star bicycle. He taught me how to ride a penny farthing, at one point sold me his cherished Colson tandem, and would occasionally show up on my front porch to brighten my life. I will miss him dearly.

My condolences to all who knew and loved him.

Wow, so very touching all this man did in his life. I can see he was very special, and will be remembered by so many. HEARTBREAKING loss, but he certainly made his mark and will be remembered forever. Guys like this don't die, they just step aside to another form and continue to live in our memories. RIP Mike, I wish I had met you, but feel I did with all the pictures and stories and can't help but feel a lump of sadness in my chest. Thanks.

I met Mike over 25+ years ago after selling him a Star bicycle. He taught me how to ride a penny farthing, at one point sold me his cherished Colson tandem, and would occasionally show up on my front porch to brighten my life. I will miss him dearly.

My condolences to all who knew and loved him.
@Coot, I believe he still has that Star, thanks for sharing that story that he would show up and brighten your life. It's exactly how I felt every time he would come visit. To be harshly honest, I tolerate many of the friends in my life, but after getting my fill, I want them to go home and let me alone. I like my own company and have always done just fine left alone to play with my projects or toys. My wife says I'm an inward facing extrovert.. I like people and I'm social, but get my fill of people quickly and want to be left to my own devices most of the time.

Mike is the one exception in my life; when he would show up I would drop everything and spend as many hours as I could with him. I never got tired of his company, and would beg him to come stay so we could hang out. It was always like a vacation with him, I would look forward to his visits and miss him when he was gone. It was like that since I met him in 1980, and continued on until this month.

It's said that we don't know what we have until we lose it, but that's not true with Mike. I always knew what a gem he was and always really appreciated his friendship. I keep calling him my brother, but the truth is he was better to me than my blood, he was like no other friend to me. It's so gratifying to hear all these great stories about him, and that so many of you got to know him or were touched by him.

In all the years I knew him, there was never a harsh word, ill feelings or anything less than just pure goodness. We really lost a good one when Mike Leebolt departed, RIP Mikey, you left a great legacy behind.

731CECBA-75F5-4FFF-82B6-A88319E7A50D.jpeg

This was my favorite shot of the Marin ride in 2018.
Do these guys look clueless or what?
I gave the caption to the photo.
“Does anyone know, how to ride one of these things?”
But of course, Mike could practically fly on his high wheel.
But I just thought the look on his face for this photo was a classic.
Always the one to turn people on, and suggest that you climb up on that thing and have a go.
I can honestly say, that I don’t think I would ever allow someone to climb aboard my high wheel unless I was sure, they knew what they were doing.
I’ve always said, that there are some people who should be allowed to live forever.
Mike was one of those people.

Back