When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Schwinn I hate.

-
Obviously there's a reason why these are commonly referred to as "A Bicycle Built for Divorce". :p :p :p

Both riders need to be in tune with each other, especially while turning or bad things will happen. Mutual trust is necessary. If there are control issues you can forget it. Just like a marriage. :openmouth:

I've heard it said that the two best days to own a tandem, are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.

I've bought a couple of them over the last few years just to flip, and always immediately regretted it because they take up so much space in my already cramped garage. I did make a few bucks on each of them, but I think I'm done with them unless I run across a nice one for free or stupid cheap. Even then I might have to think about it.

I only rode my Columbia Tandem one time with another person on board. Never rode the Schwinns except by myself and just on kind of test runs. I think that the fun of a tandem is the challenge to try to ride it with another person. If both people are interested in the challenge, then it's fun to have one. My SO was not interested at all so they had to go :).

About seven years ago I had a Columbia tandem dropped off for some work. No big deal, took care of the necessary jobs then suggested the then girlfriend jump on the back so we could take it out for a test ride. Fifteen minutes of wobbling around later (that was my first, and so far only, tandem ride) I was completely disenchanted with the idea and Maggie was eagerly (as in 10 year old eagerly) asking if I could find one for us. I promised her I'd keep an eye out.

Damn, just never found one. Even at all those swap meets (that I went to alone).

SHAME ON ME, BUT I LET MY WIFE RIDE IN THE BACK AND SHE PROVIDED THE MOST PEDAL POWER.
NOTE SURE ABOUT THE SPROCKET RATIOS, OR IF THAT MADE A DIFFERENCE.
I WAS UP FRONT AND CONTROLLED THE DIRECTIONS WE WERE GOING WHEN WE TURNED.
ONE THING MOST PEOPLE DO NOT REALIZE IS THE SPRING FORK , FOREWHEEL BRAKE,
S-2 RIMS AND TIRES I ADDED MADE THE TANDEM A JOY TO RIDE.

Tandems are good for introducing young kids to bicycling. I put a pair of vice grips on the down tube of an old Twinn and my kids would ride with me and not pedal, resting their feet on the vice grips. They loved it and quickly wanted their own bikes.

Tandems are good for introducing young kids to bicycling. I put a pair of vice grips on the down tube of an old Twinn and my kids would ride with me and not pedal, resting their feet on the vice grips. They loved it and quickly wanted their own bikes.
Kids do love them. I used to see our neighbors kids riding back and forth on our lane on a Schwinn Twinn. They looked like they were having a blast.

Back