When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grandpa's WW2 BSA Airborne Bicycle refurbishment

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi @Burnsie

Thanks for the Thanks. (-;

Best of Luck with the saddle.

When tapping the blocks in, keep a finger alongside the wear face of the block to help guide it into the channel on the shoe until it's some way in, then it should gude itself OK (you'll see what I mean).

Show some pictures here when you're finished.

Toodle Pip,

Adrian

Ok! Thanks to @Mercian and Stuart Bray we have a functioning bike again! Here's what's new:

Bought a set of NOS brakes for $6 USD + $22 USD Shipping from the UK, lol. Just as @Mercian said they fit the brake holders and weren't hardened. I'm not a bike guru so probably the install technique leaves something to be desired, but it DID work:
20200515_091258-01.jpeg

20200515_090812-01.jpeg

The inserts were a bit too thick for the rims so I sanded them down to fit:

20200515_093452-01.jpeg

Then put em on. They "only" took about 3 hours to install (novice, lol).... plus about a month total to see if Mercian's worked, then buy them and have them shipped.

I also put on the repro grips from Stuart Bray. Holy cow they were expensive, but necessary. I installed with a 1/2" band of brown card paper just under the leading edge of the grip per his instructions to replicate the original card that peeked out and held the glue. You can barely see it but it's there. I filed down some rust first, and the whole process for that took about 1 hour.... plus a month to find, buy & receive them.

20200516_132448-01.jpeg

Yesterday I rode it for the first time since I was a kid. The brake pads still rub some so there's some fine-tuning to do... either that or just ride it enough to wear them down. I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on and breaking the chain, too, so rode it pretty gingerly. Plus I still need an appropriate saddle, which will probably be either a Wrights W3N or W3ST.

Thanks again to those who supported along the way. Your effort helped get this bike rolling again!

Back