When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAGGI "CHAMPION OLYMPIQUE ET DU MONDE"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Here's an odd "Gallic" bike from yesteryear: BAGGI type "Champion Olympique et du Monde". Although I don't know if this particular model was raced to any prestigious titles; this marque certainly gained some reputation when raced by Ottavio Pratesi, a rather underrated cyclist during the pre and post WW1 eras (his 1912 Tour de France exploits are incredible!). Always raced as an "isolati" in 5 TDF's winning that category in '23 & '24; I believe riding a BAGGI-SAMYN both years; definitely did in '23. An old French bike with old French parts. Amazingly, all components are in very good working order; bearings spin cleanly with very little play, and I have yet to overhaul anything. I am not going to alter anything on this bike; just clean up the frame and possibly touch-up the paint and the hand painted "BAGGI" down tube logo. The frame is fairly lighweight for its time; I will get a weight on it after stripping the last parts off, curious as to what it will come in at. It utilizes a Simplex 3 speed rear derailleur system ("Selection Standard/Professional" type) with idler pulley/tension arm. Speciale freewheel (15,17,19T), unknown (but very cool!) crankset (46T), Gloria brakes, Lyotard 36 pedals, Maxi (Maxi-Car?) hubs, Rigida "Deco" "C" rims, Campione alloy stem, and a nice unbranded alloy bar. Brooks Professional saddle and steel post (27.0mm) are not original, though the Ideale saddle clamp may be. Unbranded headset and bottom bracket assy's. Paint is actually of high quality aside from its near century of wear and tear; the lug work is very clean and of very good workmanship. Headbadge decal held up quite nicely, especially having it partially overlap the lugs due to a smaller size frame (my size!). I only see myself installing an alloy seat post of French/European manufacture with an Ideale saddle (I have one already for it) on top; other than that it's staying as it was ridden back in the day. I do have the original fenders, though not in photos. If anyone can provide more insight regarding this marque and/or its components l would be very thankful (and buy you a pizza!).

Take care,
Jesper
IMG_20200515_123024.jpg

IMG_20200515_123136.jpg

IMG_20200515_123057.jpg

IMG_20200515_123309~2.jpg

IMG_20200515_130443.jpg

IMG_20200515_124943.jpg

IMG_20200515_125310.jpg

IMG_20200515_124533.jpg

Last edited:
-----

BAGGI-SAMYN -

team picture from a cycling publication of 1923 -

advert of 1928

advert of 1929

newspaper article of 1930

---

SAMYN Giro d'Italia road machine of 1972 -

-----

Last edited:

Thank you Juvela! What type of pizza do you want?
I had found a couple of the articles previously including the colored poster, which purports to show Mr. Pratesi on his bike. He did ride #299, but I found that the likeness to his photos somewhat lacking. Excellent historical stuff there. Nice to see another version of one. I'm still unpacking boxes from my move, haven't come across the fenders yet, but I know I've got them. I'm going to have to resupply my stock of bronze wool for this job to try and preserve the component finishes; I don't trust even "000" steel wool on some of the older stuff, although it can do a good job of taking off that oxidation on the old alloy parts since there's no worry about damaging an anodized finish.
Here are some more photos:
IMG_20200515_130353.jpg

IMG_20200515_130008.jpg

IMG_20200515_125807.jpg

IMG_20200515_125150.jpg

IMG_20200515_124831.jpg

IMG_20200515_124741.jpg

IMG_20200515_124134.jpg

IMG_20200515_124004.jpg

IMG_20200515_123852~2.jpg

IMG_20200515_123624.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Speciale gear block appears it may be a Moyne product. Resembles the Moyne model 300. You may discover an additional marking on the back side. VAR produced a remover specifically for this pattern of gear block.

Hubs appear to exhibit a marking on their barrels. Is it perchance EXCELTOO? This is a marque produced by Etablissements Perrin.

Have you discovered any marking on the backside of the crank arms or chainwheel? You may find one on the centre section of the bottom bracket spindle.

Are the Rigida wheel rims steel?

Is drive chain Renold/Brampton of France? Are plates beveled?

Lugs: feature cut resembles NERVEX Nr. 100.

---

Launch date for the BAGGI-SAMYN entity was 1919.

-----

Last edited:
-----

Speciale gear block appears it may be a Moyne product. Resembles the Moyne model 300. You may discover an additional marking on the back side. VAR produced a remover specifically for this pattern of gear block.
Hubs appear to exhibit a marking on their barrels. Is it perchance EXCELTOO? This is a marque produced by Etablissements Perrin.

Have you discovered any marking on the backside of the crank arms or chainwheel? You may find one on the centre section of the bottom bracket spindle.

Are the Rigida wheel rims steel?

Is drive chain Renold/Brampton of France? Are plates beveled?

Lugs: feature cut resembles NERVEX Nr. 100.

Launch date for the BAGGI-SAMYN entity was 1919.

Merci Monsieur Juvela!
The hub is marked "MAXI" on the barrel, nothing on the seals. Small flange, 36 spoke count. I thought they might be MAXI-CAR, I will check more closely upon cleaning them.
Rigida rims are steel, nice convex shape.
I will check the inner side of the freewheel for any additional markings; I believe I did check for Moyne and Speciale in Velobase but nothing was listed.
My derailleur system appeared to be a cross between two Simplex models; one having a similar idler arm, the other a similar shift lever.
I don't think I had inspected the chain, so I get to that this weekend also.
From the general collection of parts it appears to be about 1936 give or take a year (more give in my opinion).
Again I had not attempted to ID the lugs, I have a pretty decent Nervex chart at the house so I will bring it with me to compare.
No, were no discernable marks on the cranks or ring.
That BB lock ring seems pretty distinctive, I will of course see what's hidden inside.
Regarding the stem, not sure if it's a model or brand, ATAX, AVA, and PIVO yielded nothing on Velobase between 1920-1940.
Thanks again for your diligent work on this frame and parts, I believe this will be a wonderful ride for what I call a "Super L'Eroica" (pre-WW2) bike.

Ton ami! Jesper

I'll have to get a couple French beers for the christening.

Photo credit: gallica.bnf.fr/Bibliotheque nationale de France
211px-Ottavio_Pratesi.jpg

Last edited:
-----

stem -

as one goes back in time there is a common ancestor for some of the french stem/bar marques

IIRC MAVIC for example was once part of AVA

did some searching on the Campione name without results, as you might imagine it is one of those terms for which one can get a great many off-the-mark hits...even though potence was included...

---

have seen this bottom bracket lockring previously but do not know the maker

---

MAXI hubs -

as with so many french brand names for parts the history and companies behind the products is complex over time

some enthusiasts argue that MAXI became MAXI-CAR while others argue the two were separate and there continued to be MAXI branded products following the launch of the MAXI-CAR entity in 1946

MAXI-CAR are produced by R.F.G. (Roulements Francises Garanti), RFG also badges some of their products as The Forez (a regional name)

CAR/C.A.R. comes from Charles Albert Ripet

for readers who would like to make a go of untangling the history there is discussion here -

www.blackbirdsf.org/maxicar/

-----

Back