When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help dating my Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looks like Joseph Finn's bike was the beginning of the S stamp. Sometime early postwar, it expanded to 'MOS' + the year code. Not to be confused with the "MOD 502", which was only a supplier code for Sears.

Yesterday FedEx dropped this off for me. It's what I believe to be a 40, based on and SE stamp, and it has the Sears MOD 502 stamp.. But the stamp SE stamp is very small and it must have been stamped at the end of the day by a very small woman - barley made dent

It came packed in pieces and it's all there. What I cannot find is a picture/illustratio of another one like it. Mine has the white truss rods, but the front fender has no provision for a headlamp and it has two braces. Most I've seen with truss rods have only a single brace. Any thoughts? Because it's totally disassembled I don't think posting a picture would do any good at this time. But here's a picture of the stampings.

SE

MOD 502 191

SER 86642

IMG_20200328_144129640.jpg

Thanks,
Ed

Wildman asked earlier about dates based on solid or slotted sprockets. Isn't this more of a sign of who manufactured the bike rather than age?

Back