When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block Chain parts or Repair

-
Ive checked online and couldnt find the documents. If a 200lb man were to use his full weight on one foot to brake and the bike had a 7" crank mounted to a 10" diameter chainring it would be 280lbf on the chain. The tensile strength may very well be way more than that and intermittent application of such forces may be perfectly okay but it would be nice to know what the tensile rating actually is

I've had a conveyor chain on my 1893 Featherstone Road King for about ten years, and I've raced the bike and ridden it on centuries. The bike has a small chain ring and rear cog, which actually increases the load on the chain. I am a light older rider, but a strong friend who weighs more has also ridden the bike on centuries, and my teenage son has match-sprinted it. My friend once tore eight double-butted chrome steel spokes out of the rear wheel, but the chain was fine. A conveyor chain is essentially identical to a TOC block chain except that the side plates are not drilled for lightness, and I'm sure the metallurgy has only improved over the last 120 years. So don't worry about riding hard on a conveyor chain.

Oh, we are Wheelmen. Riding old bikes hard is lots of fun!

Paul Rubenson

Last edited:
I see 8000N as the minimum tensile quoted as the Euro ISO and I found a Taiwanese manufacturer TYC quotes their 3/16 block chain B502 as approximately 600kgf (5880N) but their 3/16 laminated chain L502 as 1100kgf (10800N). A wippermann study shows a lot of chains breaking in the 9000N to 10,500N range.

So it appears that TYCs L502 exceeds todays standard for tensile strength while the B502 is significantly below, but probably still way stronger than what was produced back in the day.

Attachments

• 08 BLOCK CHAIN.pdf
    246.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Connex_Breaking_Load_Test_Results.pdf
    183.2 KB · Views: 49
Back