When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From rust to glory... The story of a 1902 Pierce chainless cushion restoration begins!

-

37ccmflyte

Finally riding a big boys bike
My Holy Grail bike has for years been the Pierce chainless with full suspension.
For many years I have been looking for the right bike, at the right price that needs restoration.
Now I own one! A 1902 with early forks (without a metal brace) and a rear hub only used 1902.
It needs some parts and LOTS of work to make it the bike of my dreams!
But the bones are there and I can rebuild anything.
The bike is still in the USA getting prepared for shipping to New Zealand, so at this stage I am hunting up information, contacts with people who know these bikes well and looking for some parts.
I want to restore it to jewel like new perfection with all the correct parts where I can.

First question for those who know..... What type of rims did these bikes come with new?? Wood or steel? What's the closest I can get to original rims?

Regards
Gavin
[email protected]
PS Looking for an original seat (Sager No. 4., Troxel 30B, Wheeler No 1 or 5, Persons Special) and Kelly bars in need of restoration or work at this early stage.

20190203_135316.jpg

I'm not too familiar with this type of bike, nor what type of rims it had originally. But I will say, that some nice old solid wood rims would look real nice on it, and would be period correct, if not totally correct. Fairly available inexpensively on ebay here in USA, but being from the 1800s, these original wood rims usually need a fair amount of work to be usable. Also, brand new riding quality tubular tires can still be gotten for the old wood rims, many listings on ebay, and different colors, they are just measured and sold in metrics nowadays, specifically mm instead of in inches, so it takes a little reading up to know what exactly to buy. That will be a very fine bike when you get her done. I can't begin to imagine what it may be like to ship something like this to the other side of the world, I can only imagine its a bit pricey and has some complication. Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited:
It should have had the 28" rims and since you're in the southern hemisphere where they were used into the 1970s it shouldn't be too hard to find used rims and tyres/tires for clincher rims. I have a late teens Buffalo Pierce chain drive with steel clincher rims. I bought tires from Moruya Cycles outside Canberra ACT. Shipping was 3 times the cost of the tires. ;)
1593474921516.png

This might provide some information and inspiration.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress!
Gary

First thing to decide... it appears the bike came with tubular tyres/rims back in 1902... Which way do I go?? Tubular or clincher?
The main question is..... Can I still get cool looking period style white or cream tubular tyres to fit? Is Robert Dean still making tubulars?
The 1902 Pierce catalogue says the standard tyre is 1 3/8 with 1 1/2 listed in the options.... I am assuming the rims are 622 size??

I will not be riding it much if at all, other than a short shake down ride to make sure everything works. (old leg injury means I can't ride much anymore).

622 CB Italia wooden rims are available from Italy in both tubular and clincher styles, so that's easy... I think? Or should I get Stutzman? Anyone know how much they are new?? I would paint them black as per the original spec.

I am new to REALLY old bikes so this is a steep learning curve for me so please let me know if I am going the wrong way with anything... I might well not know better! :)

Last edited:
Robert Dean Tires
28 x 1 1/2" ribbed tread and 28 x 1-3/4” smooth tread tires for sale. They are $150-175 each includes shipping.
Robert Dean Sr.
628 Jefferson St.
Saint Albans, WV 25177
They are black, red or white, 4 ply , no name or size on side wall
Hours are 5 PM - 9 PM EST M-F and 9 AM - 9 PM Saturday. 304-722-3115

D249BC2B-1A5B-4127-8625-8716E3941A6F.jpeg

Robert Dean Tires
28 x 1 1/2" ribbed tread and 28 x 1-3/4” smooth tread tires for sale. They are $150-175 each includes shipping.
Robert Dean Sr.
628 Jefferson St.
Saint Albans, WV 25177
They are black, red or white, 4 ply , no name or size on side wall
Hours are 5 PM - 9 PM EST M-F and 9 AM - 9 PM Saturday. 304-722-3115

View attachment 1224888
Man those are perfecto. Liking the ribbed tread and that these options are available for the OLD bike enthusiasts. Thanks for the response.

The original rims are iso 642, not 622. With 642 you're limited to Robert Deans or the V Rubber tires in black (for clinchers only). If you go with modern 700c rims then you have lots of choices in tires. Both the Italian wood rims and Stutzman look fantastic. Don't forget to count in shipping, which may make the Robert Deans cheaper if your ordering from Italy.

700c carbon fiber lined Ghisallo rim sets, finished with decals, are around $450.00, shipped. They come stuck together, from the wood finish, but separate, easily. Stutzman need to be finished and are $350.00@set, plus shipping. You may be able to buy the Ghisallo rims unfinished.

The original rims are iso 642, not 622. With 642 you're limited to Robert Deans or the V Rubber tires in black (for clinchers only). If you go with modern 700c rims then you have lots of choices in tires. Both the Italian wood rims and Stutzman look fantastic. Don't forget to count in shipping, which may make the Robert Deans cheaper if your ordering from Italy.
Ok, now I am learning...... So just to be super clear, .....
1. The 1902 Pierce came with tubular wooden rims of 642 size?
2. Robert Dean's tyres 28 1 3/4 smooth white will fit that rim size and be original Pierce size?
3. What rims EXACTLY do I order from Stutzman to be correct?. To be 642 like a original Pierce and to fit the Dean 28 1 3/4 smooth tyres?

I have to order these things from New Zealand so I want to avoid any expensive mistakes.
Thanks for the help :)

Back