When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see those Cantilever deluxe auto cycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

@cyclingday Was 1940 the last year for the pogo seat? The 41's all seem to have a sliding rail saddle.
Yes it was.
The Milsco, Full Floating Saddle, affectionately known as the “Pogo Seat,” because of the internal spring in the seat post, was introduced in 1936 for the inaugural release of the New, Schwinn, Autocycle.
It was discontinued in 1941 for the Autocycle Super Deluxe.
The Mesinger De Luxe replaced it.
56EC8F34-453A-4BF3-A034-B2D69B5E01D3.jpeg

I would imagine, that some bikes could still be supplied in 1941 with the Full Floating Milsco, if there was still any stock of them left.
It’s possible, that the decision to go with the Mesinger De Luxe in 1941 was made for them, because, Milsco could no longer guarantee delivery of that type of saddle anymore.
As cool as the Full Floating Saddle was, in my experience, the 1941 Auto Cycle Super De Luxe, was the best riding bike of the bunch, and the addition of the Mesinger, De Luxe saddle, was a big reason why.
The Milsco “Pogo” type saddle put you too close to the Crossbar Speedometer housing with no way to slide the saddle back for a more comfortable riding position.
This was not a problem, for a 15 year old kid, with a few more growing years in the bank, but a big problem for a full grown adult with a 34” inseam.
So, it’s one or the other.
Either get rid of the dashboard, or the pogo seat.
The Silding Rail, Mesinger De Luxe proved to be a better saddle all the way around, so it won out, thus making the 1941 Auto Cycle Super De Luxe a luxuriant ride.
Not to mention all of the other component improvements for that model year.

Last edited:
Yes it was.
The Milsco, Full Floating Saddle, affectionately known as the “Pogo Seat,” because of the internal spring in the seat post, was introduced in 1936 for the inaugural release of the New, Schwinn, Autocycle.
It was discontinued in 1941 for the Autocycle Super Deluxe.
The Mesinger De Luxe replaced it.
View attachment 1220494
I would imagine, that some bikes could still be supplied in 1941 with the Full Floating Milsco, if there was still any stock of them left.
It’s possible, that the decision to go with the Mesinger De Luxe in 1941 was made for them, because, Milsco could no longer guarantee delivery of that type of saddle anymore.
As cool as the Full Floating Saddle was, in my experience, the 1941 Auto Cycle Super De Luxe, was the best riding bike of the bunch, and the addition of the Mesinger, De Luxe saddle, was a big reason why.
The Milsco “Pogo” type saddle put you too close to the Crossbar Speedometer housing with no way to slide the saddle back for a more comfortable riding position.
This was not a problem, for a 15 year old kid, with a few more growing years in the bank, but a big problem for a full grown adult with a 34” inseam.
So, it’s one or the other.
Either get rid of the dashboard, or the pogo seat.
The Silding Rail, Mesinger De Luxe proved to be a better saddle all the way around, so it won out, thus making the 1941 Auto Cycle Super De Luxe a luxuriant ride.
Not to mention all of the other component improvements for that model year.

Totally agree with the ergonomics. I think the discontinuation had more to do with cost control in anticipation of the increased production/consumer costs that did come to fruition later in the 1941 model year, your points likely made the decision clear for Frank W.

When was the last time anyone had one of those hanging tanks for sale? They must be getting as valuable as the prewar straightbar Motorbike tanks with glass lenses?

Last edited:
When was the last time anyone had one of those hanging tanks for sale? They must be getting as valuable as the prewar straightbar Motorbike tanks?

There was that 1940 project bike that showed up in Indiana, about a month ago.
I contacted the seller to see if I could buy the tank separately, and he told me, that he had a standing offer of $3,500 on it, but he really wanted to sell the project as a whole for $5,000.
The hanging Canti tank, was about all there was of value there, so, to acquire that tank, was probably going to take something closer to $4,000.
It was a really nice tank with no issues that I could see.
So, I’d say the market value on those tanks is somewhere between 3 & 5 K.
Not bad for one of those lowly Schwinn’s that everybody is so turned off by. Lol!

Ok, now that the bird is in the cage,
5972848B-5886-4B76-9073-C8E4510D0ADE.jpeg

I can provide a sneak peek at my latest acquisition.
2FF7450D-FC28-4998-ADD0-17F5FE4ADF47.jpeg

Here’s the 1941 Schwinn built, Cadillac,
Auto Cycle De Luxe, in Traverse Green and Ivory.
16A7E6C0-966F-404C-B8E9-BB857BA238C1.jpeg

Traverse Green is really more of a turquoise blue than green, but that’s just what they called it.
It is a color that is usually paired with Robins Egg Blue, but I’ve always preferred it with the Ivory trim.
It’s not quite as flowery that way.
The Cadillac moniker is one of the Chicago Cycle Supply badges, and suits this model and color perfectly.
In fact, here is its Detroit counterpart in the exact same color.
24BD1D6A-417D-457D-8283-96EA43256C9E.jpeg

Is that a classic, or what?
Stay tuned, more to come.

Ok, now that the bird is in the cage, View attachment 1220737
I can provide a sneak peek at my latest acquisition.
View attachment 1220736
Here’s the 1941 Schwinn built, Cadillac,
Auto Cycle De Luxe, in Traverse Green and Ivory.
View attachment 1220734
Traverse Green is really more of a turquoise blue than green, but that’s just what they called it.
It is a color that is usually paired with Robins Egg Blue, but I’ve always preferred it with the Ivory trim.
It’s not quite as flowery that way.
The Cadillac moniker is one of the Chicago Cycle Supply badges, and suits this model and color perfectly.
In fact, here is its Detroit counterpart in the exact same color.
View attachment 1220735
Is that a classic, or what?
Stay tuned, more to come.
Wow another great Bike Marty and a great color very nice bike I love it

Back