When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Barn Find

-

oldirongardentractors

On Training Wheels
Hello, everyone. I just picked this up from a friend who had it in his barn. I think it's a Monark Rocket, though it was obviously sold by the Rae J. Watson bicycle shop in London, Ontario, as you can see from the head badge. I have been told that Watson did make some changes to some of the bikes to sell them. The wheels are 26". The tag on the bottom of the bike says it's a model 3006, and the serial number reads A0056083. The previous owner said it did have a light on the front fender with a generator, which I assume was added by the bike shop or a previous owner. He also said it didn't have the chain guard when he received it. I think the front rim matches the back rim, but someone painted it red. That's about all I know. I read on here that the model number means it's a boys' bike. Not sure what year it is as the serial number lists I found on this forum did not really align with what I was seeing on the tag. My plan is to clean it up and to get it working as it should, and then go from there. Nothing is seized, but there's play in the bearings, etc., which is to be expected. The rims are problematic, with one spoke broke and the others rusty and thin enough that many of them don't inspire confidence. I'll think about what to do with them later. Is there anything else you can tell me about it? Anything I should know, perhaps the year of manufacture? I'm just trying to learn a little and better understand what I have. I want to make it rideable again. This is my first bicycle of this vintage, with most of my hobby time being spent playing with vintage garden tractors and engines. Thanks so much.

I do not see your number here...pre-47? Your rims look to have different profiles...Over time, parts, original or not come and go on these old bikes...if they could only talk...

Thank you very much.
Welcome.....nice bike....
Someone will assuredly be along with the info you're looking for........

Thanks for your help. Based on the serial number, I had wondered if it was pre-'47, given what I'd read, but then I wasn't entirely sure as it was on a tag, rather than just stamped onto the frame. I know surprising things can and did happen in factories, or maybe it had to do with sending it to Canada and having it rebadged as a Watson, or .... I wasn't sure how long the Rocket was produced, if that's what it is. Anyway, I figured there was likely some sort of explanation of which I was unaware.

Yes, the stories these old things could tell. It's the same thing with garden tractors. To find completely original machines is very difficult. Generally, "original" is a question of degrees, and I do prefer stuff that's as original as possible. That said, this bike has indeed seen some changes.
I do not see your number here...pre-47? Your rims look to have different profiles...Over time, parts, original or not come and go on these old bikes...if they could only talk...
View attachment 1220812

I believe the tag started in '46 so this is likely a '46 model. I've seen some discrepancies with the Polizzi list and the ABC list (shown) I believe has some holes too because it is a Western Auto parts book and only focuses on models sold through them. V/r Shawn

Back