When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice please with this BSA shed find ??

-

Bronson

On Training Wheels
Hi all,

I'm currently fixing up 3 old bikes that have been put my way by family and one of them has me stumped. Its a BSA but I can't find a picture of it anywhere. I removed the old aftermarket rear rack and pedals, the mudguards possibly original were in a poor state so I've removed for now also. It has twin cogs at the back of slightly different sizes....I'm guessing so you can run the wheel either way and choose your gearing (I've never seen this!!). I'd like to get back to as close as stock as possible so if anyone can give me some advice it would be much appreciated. Its possibly ex military according to the stories but I can't be sure. Have a look at the pictures, thanks!

Photo 06-07-2020, 17 54 06 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 17 54 11 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 17 54 19 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 17 54 23 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 17 54 31 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 17 54 54 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 19 57 55 - Copy.jpg

Photo 06-07-2020, 19 58 00.jpg

-----

this type of rear hub is referred to as double-sided or in British shorthand D/S.

sometimes both sides are fixed. sometimes both sides are freewheel. sometimes one side is fixed and one side is freewheel.

in yank parlance it is often called a flip-flop.

---

@dnc1

-----

Last edited:
-----

this type of rear hub is referred to as double-sided or in British shorthand DS.

sometimes both sides are fixed. sometimes both sides are freewheel. sometimes one side is fixed and one side is freewheel.

in yank parlance it is often called a flip-flop.

---

@dnc1

-----
Thanks for the info, in this case both are free wheel......cant find another bike like it anywhere, even the rear dropout is unique

Thanks for the info, in this case both are free wheel......cant find another bike like it anywhere, even the rear dropout is unique

-----

the forum has a number of members who are knowledgeable on BSA products

they should be along shortly to give some solid information ;)

thank you for sharing this find with the forum

-----

One side was for climbing hills, the other was for flat land, probably a race bike!

I've got a Hercules Kestrel with those "John Bull Club Grips", and it's from the late '40's. What kind of markings are on the rims? If those are "Dunlop Special Lightweight 26 x 1-1/4 Made in England" then it's probably a higher end bike.
It's a neat bike in any case. I've never seen a caliper set up with that push-pull connector.
For comparison: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/hercules-kestrel.124592/

Last edited:
Hi, @Bronson

not military, though BSA did make bikes for the British army during WW2.

There's an example at the top of this post.

As you can see further down, there's a discussion about replacement brake blocks, and though your calipers are not the same, it looks like the brake shoes are. In which case you can buy New Old Stock blocks here:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back