When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the fastest anyone’s ever gone on a Schwinn Stingray?

-
Worlds Fastest Stingray has to be a complete stock Stingray or it just makes no sense. if all that remains is the frame you may as well put it in the trunk of a Bonneville streamliner and go 400 MPH.
I doubt a stock coaster brake Stingray will do over 40 with a full size adult on it.

Even at Bonneville they have lots of different classes for the different amounts of modification.

On any completely stock Stingray the gearing would limit the top speed to less than 30 on flat ground. Any faster and you're depending on going downhill and letting gravity make you go faster. Which brings us to a gravity powered competition.

Going any faster than 30 on a completely stock stingray down a big hill and you're going to run into serious safety and stability issues.

I thought a happy medium would be if the parameters could be set so that the bike could compete in Gravity Bike events, since it's the only speed record bicycle competition for 20" bicycles.

At this point I think I'm the only one planning on competing, so for now I'll build for the rules above. I think it'll be fun.

Go for it! Photos please!

Thanks!

Well, I’m definitely going to do a Stingray gravity bike build!

I’ve already started working on the frame - a campus green 68 beater Stingray I bought a year ago from a guy living in the country out past the F1 track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our inaugural "Worlds Fastest Stingray" event could be held somewhere like Pikes Peak.
We could hold the event in a different state every year.

Whizzer made a stingray whizzer in the 60s called Wasp, it was a 26 inch cantilever with 20 inch wheels and all the stingray parts. Not a sting ray frame , but seems more doable to do a 100, I think?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Whizzer "Stingray". I had never heard of one.
-it could be a contender with a Quentin Guenther massaged engine.

When we were kids, my older brother would drive us up to the top of the Ortega Hwy, and drop us off with our Sting Rays, and we’d coast all the way down into Lake Elsinore.
We didn’t weigh much back then, so terminal velocity, was probably only about 40 mph, but we had a blast doing it.
My brother used to fly Hang Gliders from there, so I always dreamed of building a kite bike, and flying my Sting Ray to the bottom.
I did actually build the kite bike, but I never flew it off anything bigger than a plywood ramp out in the street.
We did ghost fly it from the freeway overpass.
That turned out to be a white knuckler.
It flew out over the freeway with oncoming cars down below, and then turned back out over the road, and then crashed into the hill.
We dodged a major bullet that day, and never tried to fly the kite bike ever again.
Ahh!
To be a kid again.
Lol!

That is a renowned crazy hwy, I've been on that many times in my early years.
When we were kids, my older brother would drive us up to the top of the Ortega Hwy, and drop us off with our Sting Rays, and we’d coast all the way down into Lake Elsinore.
We didn’t weigh much back then, so terminal velocity, was probably only about 40 mph, but we had a blast doing it.
My brother used to fly Hang Gliders from there, so I always dreamed of building a kite bike, and flying my Sting Ray to the bottom.
I did actually build the kite bike, but I never flew it off anything bigger than a plywood ramp out in the street.
We did ghost fly it from the freeway overpass.
That turned out to be a white knuckler.
It flew out over the freeway with oncoming cars down below, and then turned back out over the road, and then crashed into the hill.
We dodged a major bullet that day, and never tried to fly the kite bike ever again.
Ahh!
To be a kid again.
Lol!

Whizzer made a stingray whizzer in the 60s called Wasp, it was a 26 inch cantilever with 20 inch wheels and all the stingray parts. Not a sting ray frame , but seems more doable to do a 100, I think?View attachment 1225124
Ted Lusher, he is a big supplier and builder of Whizzers, he can build you one, he part of the West Coast Whizzer guys. I never knew about one and learned it from him. He also is responsible for the new approved motor parts and clutches and some that he had reproduced some time back; plus an excellent painter and pin stripper.

Back