When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single speed psychological manipulation

-
You mean I’m not the only one who dose this? Thinks it’s awesome when you smoke someone on a 50 to 80 year old ballon bike??? Sounds like we all need the same tattoo!

Most fun for me is the agro bike path (Roadie look) rider who’s trying everything just to pass.

I’m just riding along doing my thing someone creeps up. They’re persistent. Then they make their move... They proceed to be stupid in front you. Can’t hold the pace, pick terrible lines, jack the brakes or get shady at intersections thinking that’s gonna be we’re they put a gap on you. Is a good show for a minute :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Just wish I had real brakes sometimes. Maybe on the next build.
Brakes can sometimes work against you on a sandy bike path. Like you said it is all about the line picked!

When being passed while on a somewhat leisurely ride by someone out "training" it's fun to grab onto their wheel and watch their surprise when they look over their shoulder to gloat over how they blew past and left you and your old bike in the dust. My '19 Mead Ranger is good for this. ;)

just laughing at you guys cuz you are all nuts. :) if you passed a roadie while riding a 50 lb. fat tire bike with low pressure tires and coaster brakes it is because they let you. how fast can you go for a mile or so? 15? maybe if you are young and fit.... and I have to assume we are only talking about the flat roads.

I'm 60, and one quarter the cyclist I used to be. my Le Mond will take me well over 40 on a good downhill without even pedaling after the first 100 feet or so. 15 is a good all day cruise speed on the flats. I could probably do 25 for a bit if I pushed myself. did 30 on the flats once when I was young and handsome.... just long enough to get that fast and then coast... racers run a whole race doing 30.

this post reminds me of the "54 MPH on a Stingray" guy.

Has anyone else experience this lately or ever?
I'll give you an example of what I am trying to convey.

A while back, before COVID, I was following ( on my coaster brake , '55 Schwinn Corvette) a gentleman , dressed in his [ power ranger ] cycling clothes on a nice looking Trek multi - gear bike. We were both traveling south on the Three Notch Trail. He was about 100 or so yards ahead of me and going a pretty decent speed. For some reason, I had in my mind to try to catch up to him. Don't know why.
Well I kept my eye on my target and started rolling, pedalling faster and faster. As I was closing in, I believe he sensed that someone was approaching. He is shifting gears and pedaling faster. So I pedal even faster.
I did eventually catch up and got beside him and started a conversation. He kept looking at and studying my rattish Schwinn Then he asked in a confused tone " Is that a single speed?" After confirming it was, that seemed to have psyched him out so much that he just started to slow down. And then I said" Well I gotta go, enjoy the rest of your ride. " and pedaled a little faster and pulled away. I haven't seen him on the trail since.

I don't know if I had a good cadence and or rhythm pedalling along with a built up endurance, or he just didn't know how to utilize his gears wisely. But it was fun.

Since then I may have done this twice to unsuspecting riders.

I understand that now there are new riders on the trail because of the COVID bike boom. So my victim pickings are few and far between now LOL
You call them Power Rangers? Hahahahaha hahaha!!!! Yeah, not my Jam!

Back