When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laced My First Wheel!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

srfndoc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Complete newbie when it comes to lacing rims. Had two original triple drop rims from my 36 Colson that I wanted to maintain the patina on the hoop but be able to tru them adequately (many spokes were rusted/non-functional). Ended up removing all the spokes (saving all but a handful) and soaking them in CLR which cleaned them up really well. Then followed a few videos from youtube and after two attempts, got it laced correctly. My wife/kids were not sufficiently impressed by this feat so thought I would post it here. I'm going to do my donor wheel next when I get some additional spokes.
IMG_9447 (Small).jpg

IMG_9449 (Small).jpg

IMG_9455 (Small).jpg

IMG_9456 (Small).jpg

I don't do this enough. I've built a lot of wheels, but everything I do it,I need a refresher course. After I get one done, I can keep going. But if I don't do it for a long time....
That's the problem with some of this stuff. If you don't do it all the time you forget all the tricks. I'm doing my spare wheel as practice so hopefully it sticks.

Hello, Just a friendly note here, I notice on the last picture of the wheel the spokes are laced
over, over, and over, it should be over, over, and under. then on the other side of the wheel
it should be under, under, and over. that would make stronger wheel.
Just trying to help, that's all

Thanks for the tip. I looked at my two reference wheels as well as wheels from my 57 Evans Colson Sonic Scout and my wife's 57 JC Higgins Jet Flow and they all have it over/over/over. I did notice the rims on some of our more modern beach cruisers have it like you describe (over/over/under).

Last edited:
yeah I remember when I did my first wheel. I've done 3 now. on the third one I swapped out a Morrow hub for a New Departure skip tooth and used the same spokes. I laced it up 3 times 3 cross when it needed to be 4, or the other way around, I forget. very frustrating, because the spokes were all too long!! I knew they did not stretch.

the bike shop wanted $75.00 plus spokes per wheel. that was all the incentive I needed.

Back