When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atom Bte SGDG freewheel removal tool

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can someone shed some light on the Atom Bte SGDG freewheel removal tool? It took a stop at my LBS to have the freewheel removed on my Le Tour so I could clean it and overhaul the hub. Are there multiple variations? Different spline counts? All I come up with when I search are ads. None of the ads on eBay give a spline count so I’m assuming they’re all the same.

997aeee5f50403e242a20e446925e22d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know there are at least two tools for the spline Atoms and the FR-4 tool works for the early ones from 64 up to ? The later ones have a different count of splines and the tool for that one is hard to find. Never messed with a 70's bike so I've never needed that tool.

-----

The Atom brand name for cogs, gear blocks, hubs and pedals belongs to Etablissements Maillard of Incheville, France.

Zeus & Phil Wood were the first to launch a removal tool for this pattern which did not require one to first remove the axle locknut and spacer. All the previous tools, such as the Atom, have this requirement.

If you are going to purchase a tool for the splined Atom make sure to get one of the thinwall ones, regardless of brand.

Makes working with gear blocks of this pattern much easier.

Old style Atom thickwall tools:

this spline pattern is also employed by Regina, Zeus and others.

here is the Phil Wood tool:

-----

There is an accessory piece that fits larger /maillard type freewheels.
It slides over the splined portion of this tool.

Back