When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restore or Rat?

-

Centurion

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up this little 24" American, trying to decide if I want to rat rod/bmx modify it, or just restore it? Seems pretty original except for the China rim on the rear.

RAT.JPG

Reactions: JLF
Dear Mr. Centurion:
Nice bike! I saw an article recently that said when you ask an epidemiologist* a question, the answer always starts with "It depends." Well, the answer to this question starts the same way. Are you planning to keep it? Sell it? Admire it? Ride it? The folks on this forum with an archeological view will encourage leaving it as original as practical. They are correct in that it's a way-one street; once you go rat rod, you can't go back. As an example of industrial design and a historical look into American society, the bike would be a wonderful exhibit. On the other hand, if you want to ride a 24-incher, you'll probably need to add a long or layback seat post and BMX or high rise handlebars. One could argue that this approach is also consistent with the history of bikes in America because there were always folks customizing and modifying their bikes to look cooler and/or go faster. Riding it also would pay homage to the design and manufacturing system that produced this bike and its kin. If you're planning on selling it, you're probably in the wrong business.
Have fun!

*until recently, who ever read anything about epidemiologists?

Reactions: JLF
I plan on riding it, the collection of old bikes is nice for those shorter rides close to me. They serve a few purposes for me, some exercise (your legs get strong on these), collecting, displays, and a mechanical hobby. People in my neighborhood love seeing these relics. I'm thinking to make this more useable for me at 5' 11" I'll need a new seat, some higher/riser bars and maybe loose the fenders, and some fatter whites. I'll keep all the stock parts, my plan on this one is to have a comfortable short range cruiser. Thanks for the replies :)

If you are going to modify, here's what I would do...first get original rim for rear. Replace the seat and bars with period correct Schwinn banana seat and ape hangers. Be a cool period correct custom and great to ride. Those banana seats and bars let you stretch out a bit. Keep all original parts, of course, and you could put back to stock in ten minutes if you wanted.

Back