When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another serial # dilemma

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
True, 1946 models were probably made in late 45 . Would make sense anyways but until August and probably after that, the bikes were still all probably the war time models, not much chrome , no tanks, no fancy sht.. plain Jane.. but I’m just assuming..

On May 8, 1945, World War II in Europe came to an end. There is a very good chance Schwinn's production of most war related items ceased in May and they began gearing up for retail bike production around this time. Japan cried Uncle in Sept. so there was plenty of time for production of fully optioned retail bikes before the 46 models were even produced. This sheet is from Schwinn's records and the amount of bikes are listed in the far right box first column.The heading for that column says "Shipments Bicycles." So that would mean they were not only built, but shipped out. 18,929 bikes were shipped out in 1944 so I would have to think that close to 79,000 units were built and shipped out for the retail market in 1945. I'm going to keep my foot in my mouth for a quite a while and still have to believe this B6 is a 45 model.

1600233615074.png

Yeah yer probably right, has a bunch of blackout stuff on it. Pedals, bb cups and two speed handle thing..I mean, they look black outish

Back