When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Corvette Assembly

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lisa said the Corvette 5 speed top tube decal was shorter to account for the frame mounted shifter. Your top picture looks like the length of the long decal I put on and then removed. It sits back more towards the seat post when you apply it behind the frame shifter.

Got the crank installed, pedals and fork. Hit a snag with the handlebar stem, it won’t go in the head locknut. I think I have the wrong locknut, beveled version instead of the straight version for the thicker forged handlebar stems. This is referenced in the service manual (picture below).

23D661E3-2823-48C8-9785-33E15450FF3A.jpeg

B9410E60-4A5A-4849-94DE-23E1FEA6E392.jpeg

797E46C5-5BCB-425F-9569-F4BC7D1AF2FE.jpeg

39CCB227-B060-4668-B803-77F9D7BF3874.jpeg

Wait, hold on a second!!! STOP the engines!!

Your chain ring is on backwards. Dish out and part number in.

I wonder why my 61 Fair Lady has the 6-5/8" decal. It doesn't have a top tube shifter?

As for the lock nut. Schwinn changed the stem diameter to a smaller size when they increased the steer tube thickness for the 1966 models. The stems don't interchange and the headset is different to allow for the smaller dia stem.

Last edited:
Thanks, will fix that (ugh). Am I right about the head locknut, need straight top version and that’s why my handlebar stem does not fit into the head locknut?

Thanks, will fix that (ugh). Am I right about the head locknut, need straight top version and that’s why my handlebar stem does not fit into the head locknut?

Yep. Is your stem original? What changed for 1966 ...... The Steer tube gauge increased making the stem hole smaller. The stems were resized and the locknut top diameter was changed to fit the new stem.

Yes, it’s an original for 62, better chrome than my original. I tried my original handlebar stem as well and it did not fit. The original head locknut was rusty, so I bought a new (and apparently incorrect) one.

Attaching wheels and fenders. Having issues getting the fenders centered on the tire for the front wheel. The front tire rests up against one of the rear fender braces. How do you align the fender? The front wheel sits back in the fork channels, completely seated and centered in the fork.

Different issue with the rear wheel, the rear fender rides right up against the tire at the back. About 1 1/2 inch gap between fender and tire where the forward fender screw connects the fender to the frame, but at the rear the fender is right on top of the tire.

4FF78C99-B704-46EC-BB21-FAED6034BBDC.jpeg

74D5782F-FD73-4009-9C93-AA7087D1131D.jpeg

DC34B78D-5F58-4BAA-8547-EC030D42FA13.jpeg

Your rear axle will not set all the way back in the drop out. Just place the axle in the drop out to get an even spacing front and back.

1600447506034.png

In this picture, you'll see that the rear axle is almost at the front of the drop out.

Last edited:
I think it is supposed to run way forward.

When reassembling my 61 speedster with a new chain, it had to be WAY in the front or almost all the way in the back, anything else would have required a half link, and I doubt Schwinn did that.

There were marks on the dropout where the axle had been way forward like that at some point in the bike's life.

Of the two possible positions, I chose the way forward one because it allows for chain stretch. I suspect the factory did the same.

I know none of that matters with a derailleur like you have, but it seems likely since the frame, fender, and fender support design is the same (or mostly so), Schwinn would have put the wheel in about the same spot. As you noted, the fender fits worse the farther back you go.

This pic doesn't show it that well, but the axle is at the extreme front of the slot. Maybe you can zoom in.

wectmeg-jpg.jpg

You must have the derailleur installed on the drop out. Hopefully you have the mounting hardware for the derailleur. Then the axle rests up against the hanger and you align the wheel from there.

Back