When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Schwinn razor stem... AS wedge bolt or not?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
Should a razor stem on a 1941 Schwinn have an AS bolt for the wedge?

The one in it is plain, but borrowed from another bike I have. I am mainly seeing the AS wedge bolt on pictures of postwar bikes, but I am almost certain that the original (or probably original) bolt that stripped back in the 70s had "AS" on the head. What say the experts? Could that have been in 41?

My 41 doesn't have the AS bolts. Only bike I've owned with the AS stem bolts is my 58 Corvette. My 53 Phantom also has unmarked bolts.

Interesting, thanks.

What about your handlebar clamp bolt? Both my 39?-40? Excelsior and the 41 have AS on that bolt.

How about your 41 seat post clamp? My 41 has a plain square headed bolt that looks like it belongs on a battery terminal. I'll bet it is not the right one.

I’ve had both, my green 41 equipped autocycle had marked long bolts on the stem, my 41 straightbar non equipped had un marked long bolts, and my 39 razor stem had un marked long bolts

I’ve had both, my green 41 equipped autocycle had marked long bolts on the stem, my 41 straightbar non equipped had un marked long bolts, and my 39 razor stem had un marked long bolts

Over the years I always thought that at some point, an AS bolt equipped bike past thru some hands and those people had an AS bolt fetish so they replaced the AS bolts with unmarked replacements before they sold the bike. :tonguewink:

Over the years I always thought that at some point, an AS bolt equipped bike past thru some hands and those people had an AS bolt fetish so they replaced the AS bolts with unmarked replacements before they sold the bike. :tonguewink:

Possibly, I think it was more of a whatever was on hand and maybe how equipped your bike was, they probably figured it was just a bolt who cares. My autocycle was a fresh find and hadn’t been touched for many years and the straightbar had been slightly fiddled with as the stem had been wire wheeled so maybe they took the bolts out, but you could tell it was never equipped

My 1941 Has the AS bolt. I assume it's original since the rest of the bike is.
20201010_165823.jpg

20201010_165835.jpg

Interesting, thanks.

What about your handlebar clamp bolt? Both my 39?-40? Excelsior and the 41 have AS on that bolt.

How about your 41 seat post clamp? My 41 has a plain square headed bolt that looks like it belongs on a battery terminal. I'll bet it is not the right one.
Hello stay safe! The AS bolts usually belongs to the equipped models,but the people could exchange from one to other, or buy at the dealers!Same as any parts, but if do you check they came into the pre/postwar top models! For the frame seat clamps the prewar models usually use a none script or D type bolts Next ! The prewar models has the seat clamp weld into the frame, until the removable clamp was introduce as new standards! The same things happening to the Schwinn cycle trucks, I have pre/postwar and they share the same details, the first model use the welded seat clamp w the regular bolt but the Schwinn nuts!The CTs first stems used the bolt screw type not the AS, untill the longer style brings the AS script one! Next post some photos from my bikes and parts*!*

Back