When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help On Age and Value Of Old Raleigh 3-Speed Bike 28" Wheels Are Rusted Through

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

alvl1936

Look Ma, No Hands!
not sure where serial # is located either .

DSCN3903[1].JPG

DSCN3907[1].JPG

DSCN3904[1].JPG

DSCN3905[1].JPG

DSCN3906[1].JPG

I purchased and sold a complete and good example with practically new tires on the correct wheels this summer for $150. I can see a replacement set of wheels and tires easily equaling that number.

That said, the push rod brakes are super cool and I bet someone would be happy to give them a good home.

I don’t pretend to know value, just what I have experienced.

If you find the serial number, the location will also give you a year range, which will match the hub date if it's original. This page has some good information:
Thanks for the help i did find the serial on seat tube the number shows march of 1979 i guess it will make a great wall hanger or for my snow peas to run up as i don't see much in value , i may restore this winter if i can find some fairly cheap wheels or hoops that i run across , thanks again for your help .

Yes, late 1970s. Kind of uncommon, but not really rare in the US. This is a standard DL-1 layout for the US market. Replacement rims are still made for these. Original color should be black with red and gold pin stripes. No white flare on the rear fender by 1978-79.

Tire pump repos are sold on the internet. The brakes make it worth restoring? A lamp goes on the fork piece with the plus sign,

If you do try to refurb the wheels you will need special rims designed for rod brakes since the braking surface is on the inside of the rims, not on the edges like caliper brakes. Unfortunate these DL-1’s have little retail value in the market because they’re are great riding bikes once set up and fitted out properly. The rod brakes are quirky and moderately effective, but quaint in a Rube Goldberg kind of way. You will be upside down on this bike so quickly when you have to replace rims, tires/tubes, proper Brooks saddle and chain, not to mention time to tear down and build back up. Of course, there are people (like me and other crazy Brit bike guys) who realize the pleasure is in the journey and not the destination and would take the time and expense as the cost of doing business to enjoy bringing a truly iconic style of bicycle, the classic British roadster, back to life. I’ve been into vintage bikes since the 80’s and have developed a passion for these bikes. When the bug bites... you have to scratch the itch, I guess. Here are some of my Roadsters I’ve brought back to life and ride on a regular basis.

FBAA2499-8756-44F8-A162-81095CEDCB41.jpeg

7CB38EB6-47A5-431F-A6AE-A59993FD1D54.jpeg

0D54FE5C-FD95-49C9-9269-47F3CD0BE693.jpeg

E0EC5068-FA7F-4D6A-969F-D3554A5C2D73.jpeg

3178BBB7-F42F-4C1B-82AF-51F7D6446B40.jpeg

C9CA639E-3839-485C-B29D-BF9D5D81A3D8.jpeg

Back