When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dayton bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have not found one yet.
The family said that their Granddad had it for a Long time, before the 50's, and the seat was replaced.

Hi Jeff,

The numbers are not easy to find. Here's one as an example, the second photo in in post 46.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

further investigation with @Jeff Benson , and the frame also has a 3 and 1943 stamped on the bb, so there is no doubt it started life as a military frame.

You can also see the classic 'rough welding' of the frame seen on later military bikes, when the frame was gas welded and not brazed to save copper/tin/nickle.

They are not normally fitted with integral spider.

H157068 is towards the end of the last contract of Huffman G519 made.

Best Regards,

Adrian

were some civilian bikes made with mil construction practices? does not seem to be a mil bike-no MG number...
love the baby spider!

were some civilian bikes made with mil construction practices? does not seem to be a mil bike-no MG number...
love the baby spider!
Hi @bike

The MF and MG serial numbers only apply to Westfield Columbia built G519 bikes.

This is a slightly rarer Huffman Dayton G519. The numbers for these start with a H. Also having the year (1942, 1943 or 1944), and a code number 677 on the early curved downtube, and 3 on the later straight downtube frames is unique to the Huffman frames produced for the military.

Post 14 is the last list I released on the wartime Huffman numbers. I really should update this now.

It's an interesting question as to whether the civilian bikes of the same period have the same welds. I'm away from my master reference list this weekend, but will check and report back.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Edit, I removed the word 'always', for accuracy, because a small number of early Huffman G519's are prefixed D, as stated by Huffmanbill, below.

Last edited:
So what do you think its story is? Never made it to olive drab and fitted for civ use after the war or someone just restored it after the war to look like a normal bike?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Back