When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Schwinn make their as/razor stems?

-

rustjunkie

. . . . . . .
2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F04%2Fthinking-face.png

I have always been of the opinion, that Schwinn outsourced most of their parts.
McCauley
Wald
Torrington
New Departure
Ashtabula
Etc.
They were already stamping and forging parts for everyone else, so why not Schwinn?

I did read some factory literature recently, that stated that Schwinn obtained the license to produce the Webb Ten Spot brakes here in the United States.
But, I am skeptical that they would set up the manufacturing capability here, when they could just contract with Webb in England to produce what they were already making, and just add the Schwinn script to the parts made for them.
Schwinn approved, before they were Schwinn approved. Lol!

If you look at those early stamped steel brake levers, both “big and shorty” they looked very similar, if not exactly like what was being made over in the UK at the same time.

Different operations require different equipment and skills. Schwinn was well equipped for working with sheet metal and tubing, drop-forging may be another matter. I would guess that as long as there were reliable suppliers, there was no need to take another specialty in-house.

Back