When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA bath question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
One of the Torrington pedals is missing a few bb’s that were loose and not caged like the rest so I need to get a caged set.

If the cage itself is not too bad, just derust it with whatever else you are derusting small parts with (I use Evaporust), and pop new bearings in the cage. You can get a 500 ball assortment of loose ball bearings in common bicycle sizes on amazon for less than 10 bucks. Grade 25. Better than what would be in a new cage if you could just buy one.

@OldSkipTooth covered everything you need to know in post #6 about disposing of OA. I have a big laundry sink in my shop. I fill it about 1/3 full of cold water then pour the OA into it. Pull the plug and it all goes down the drain.

@the tinker That fish cast into your drain means that whatever goes into that drain goes directly to a river, not through a treatment plant. In essence you and the Exxon Valdez are doing the same polluting of natural resources.

If the cage itself is not too bad, just derust it with whatever else you are derusting small parts with (I use Evaporust), and pop new bearings in the cage. You can get a 500 ball assortment of loose ball bearings in common bicycle sizes on amazon for less than 10 bucks. Grade 25. Better than what would be in a new cage if you could just buy one.
No cage on only one side , just 5 loose bearings.

@OldSkipTooth covered everything you need to know in post #6 about disposing of OA. I have a big laundry sink in my shop. I fill it about 1/3 full of cold water then pour the OA into it. Pull the plug and it all goes down the drain.

@the tinker That fish cast into your drain means that whatever goes into that drain goes directly to a river, not through a treatment plant. In essence you and the Exxon Valdez are doing the same polluting of natural resources.
Pretty sure he's being sarcastic about dumping oils down the drain!

I have a ;late '40s early '50s Schwinn DX that is red. I would like to try an OA bath on it. However I tried it on a different set of fenders and it took the red pigment out and they turned dirty white. I have read where some advise against using OA on red bikes. I also have seen red bikes in OA without any problems. What is the deal are some paints able to and others not? Anyone use a OA bath on a similar red Schwinn with any luck. Thanks for any help and yes I'm sure it has been discussed but searching out the answers is brutal.

Last edited:
It is safe for some red paints and not others. It is a case-by-case thing, depending on the content of the paint and how it has aged or oxidized. It is supposed that red paints relying on iron oxide, or at least a metal oxide of some sort, as part of the coloration, have more of a problem than other paints.

Back