When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ladies Toc Sterling

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Does anyone have one or pictures of a Sterling ? It has a hint that at one time it had a spoon brake, but other than a screw and a tab there nothing left. It may be a fender mounting. Just curious if they even had spoon brakes on ladies Sterlings
Thank you

Does anyone have one or pictures of a Sterling ? It has a hint that at one time it had a spoon brake, but other than a screw and a tab there nothing left. It may be a fender mounting. Just curious if they even had spoon brakes on ladies Sterlings
Thank you
Ed, How are you? Long time since we last communicated. There is a picture (only one unfortuanately since my computer crashed years ago and took many of my restoration pictures to their final resting place in cyber space ) on my timemachineslimited website. This was one of my early TOC restoration done, if I recall correctly, in 1998 or thereabouts. I believe I sold it to University Bicycles in Boulder, Colorado.....they may still have it; I think it was part of a package sale of maybe 4 of my restorations. If you go on my website and scroll down to near the bottom of the lead display pictures you'll find the ladies Sterling and, yes, it does have it's original Spoon Brake, actually, except for the tires and spokes most everything on the bike is original. If memory serves, I recall that the back end of the actual spoon hinged to the rear of the forkhead in tandem with the cennection of the lead attacment of the front fender. During the restoration process I became enthralled with the Sterling brand and the very high quality of its manufacture. The white Men's Sterling also on my website was restored for Peter Zheutlin, a writer for the Boston Globe who had just published his book titled Around The World On Two Wheels in 2007 documenting his great, grand aunt Anne Kopchovsky's ride around the world in 1894. His Aunt used the name Annie Londonderry during her ride ( Londonderry was the name of a bottled water company based in Maine and was one of Annies sponsors for her ride). After beginning her ride on an 1894 ladies Columbia she decided to switch to the Sterling and specified she wanted a men's model . Peter asked me to find and restore a duplicate of Annies Sterling that he could use for book signings and lectures. Last I heard the bike is on a world tour with a traveling exhibit put together by The Museum of Science and Technology in Jerusalem, Israel titled "Women in Sports". If you are interested you can probably find a copy of the book on Amazon. I found a very restorable 1897 Men's Sterling at the CopakeAuction Swap Meet and refinished it in white as was Annies bike which Sterling, breaking from their traditional olive green finish agreed to do for her.
Best regards,
Dick Rath

Ed, How are you? Long time since we last communicated. There is a picture (only one unfortuanately since my computer crashed years ago and took many of my restoration pictures to their final resting place in cyber space ) on my timemachineslimited website. This was one of my early TOC restoration done, if I recall correctly, in 1998 or thereabouts. I believe I sold it to University Bicycles in Boulder, Colorado.....they may still have it; I think it was part of a package sale of maybe 4 of my restorations. If you go on my website and scroll down to near the bottom of the lead display pictures you'll find the ladies Sterling and, yes, it does have it's original Spoon Brake, actually, except for the tires and spokes most everything on the bike is original. If memory serves, I recall that the back end of the actual spoon hinged to the rear of the forkhead in tandem with the cennection of the lead attacment of the front fender. During the restoration process I became enthralled with the Sterling brand and the very high quality of its manufacture. The white Men's Sterling also on my website was restored for Peter Zheutlin, a writer for the Boston Globe who had just published his book titled Around The World On Two Wheels in 2007 documenting his great, grand aunt Anne Kopchovsky's ride around the world in 1894. His Aunt used the name Annie Londonderry during her ride ( Londonderry was the name of a bottled water company based in Maine and was one of Annies sponsors for her ride). After beginning her ride on an 1894 ladies Columbia she decided to switch to the Sterling and specified she wanted a men's model . Peter asked me to find and restore a duplicate of Annies Sterling that he could use for book signings and lectures. Last I heard the bike is on a world tour with a traveling exhibit put together by The Museum of Science and Technology in Jerusalem, Israel titled "Women in Sports". If you are interested you can probably find a copy of the book on Amazon. I found a very restorable 1897 Men's Sterling at the CopakeAuction Swap Meet and refinished it in white as was Annies bike which Sterling, breaking from their traditional olive green finish agreed to do for her.
Best regards,
Dick Rath

Ed, I just checked the picture on my website of the ladies Sterling and, sure enough, there was a front fender on the bike. Because it was a down loaded piture from a photgraph I'm unable to enlarge the frame in order see details showing how the fender was attached. It had to be some sort of a bracket that joined it to the brake spoon mechanism.....I just don't remember what it looked like.......old age really is not what it's cracked up to be. But ask me about my first car ( a 1946 Plymouth Special Delux ) and I can descibe every inch of it, inside and out and under the hood from memory.......go figure.
Sorry.

Dick

Best regards,
Dick Rath
Thanks Dick. it has been a long time since we last chatted. Things are going
Ed, I just checked the picture on my website of the ladies Sterling and, sure enough, there was a front fender on the bike. Because it was a down loaded piture from a photgraph I'm unable to enlarge the frame in order see details showing how the fender was attached. It had to be some sort of a bracket that joined it to the brake spoon mechanism.....I just don't remember what it looked like.......old age really is not what it's cracked up to be. But ask me about my first car ( a 1946 Plymouth Special Delux ) and I can descibe every inch of it, inside and out and under the hood from memory.......go figure.
Sorry.

Dick
Ha ha I know what you mean Dick. Thanks for your reply. Have a nice Thanksgiving

Back