When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW1 Columbia military bike resto questions.

-
Hi Wing Your Heel,

Thanks for posting that up. I've used the photos of the Military Models on your excellent site as references whilst restoring mine. Nice, detailed pictures. (-:

On the subject of the USA serial number, it's nice when this is on the frame, but I've now seen three examples of army issued Militay Models from France where there is no number. Initially, I wondered if they'd been filed off when the bikes passed into civilian hands, but looking carefully at the paint on the bb, this doesn't seem to be the case.

It's probably not possible to tell, but does the USA number on the examples you've seen appear to be stamped on before (ie, by Westfield) or after manufacture (ie, by the army)?

Best Regards,

Adrian

Got the chain ring and crank installed today looks better but needs bars and badge.. think it’s time to forget about it and wait till the parts show as usual...lolView attachment 730801 View attachment 730804 View attachment 730805 View attachment 730806
Looking at your bike, did the tool bag come with bike or did you add it on. Looks like the same bag as the G519. Been in discussions with bike collectors to find out what type of tool bag was issued with the WWI GI bicycle. Seems the the bicycle repair pouch at the Army Quartermaster Museum is really a repair pouch for the 1917 Browning Water Cooled Machine-gun.

All the Best

Boz

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying to track down a correct example of the WWI GI bicycle tool bag.

Boz

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Got original bars now. Amazing what a difference bars make....
964090B2-A308-4A42-9320-40CC5C0913DD.jpeg

6739F9F8-5F0E-4DB1-8B90-D60B2EF8408A.jpeg

Hi Catfish,

Interesting, and Thanks for the very informative photo, the first one I've seen of a white Columbia pedal block. Forgive me for asking, is yours a WW1 or postwar Military Model? (I tried searching, but I'm too short of time this morning to read all the conversations on CABE, I really should start listing the Military Models).

Best Regards,

Adrian
Sorry for the late reply. I just saw this.

Mine is a wartime military bike.

Back