When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding and Restoring a 1917 Toolbox Tank- Before and After Photos

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everyone! I would like to share one final update on a project I am working on, and provide this information for anyone else who might find one of these in the future. Over the past year, I have asked for some advice on a couple of problems I encountered in the 1917 Deluxe Flyer Restoration (thank you everyone for help with that). In my last post about the frame repairs, I ended in mentioning "rebuilding the toolbox tank". I have since accomplished that, and couldn't help but show you. The reason this toolbox is important I feel, is because it is the only surviving example I've seen of this very early type tank, as shown exactly in the 1916-18 Montgomery Ward Catalogs. If you have a bike of this model, with this type toolbox, please post a picture on here so we can start an "inventory" of those that are surviving.

So when I started, the toolbox was very dilapidated, the lead soldered seams were coming apart, the hinge had rusted out and the door fallen off, the latch rod was gone, and there was considerable rot & rust out in areas. General surface rust as well. I soaked the piece in a tub of vinegar I use over and over again for 4 days to remove all rust inside and out, then scrubbed it and soaked it in water for 4 or 5 days to remove the vinegar residue. I then considered Bondoing the rust out holes, but decided to use the more traditional method of Leading in the holes. So I soldered on a steel patch to back the rotted section, and then filled the holes with lead, and sanded it all down smooth as possible (using proper safety precautions and equipment).

The reason the rotted section couldn't have a new clean patch of metal just welded in, is because the gauge metal used in this tank is thinner than later tanks, and is like that of a tin toy or cookie tin, and is too thin for welding. I then soldered back up the loose seams, and fabricated some new parts for the hinge, and soldered them back on as well. If you notice the catalog image, this toolbox clamps to the frame from the bottom instead of being hung from the top. This is because it is an early design in which the seams are soldered together, instead of spot welded or crimped together as in later toolboxes. It is not a very strong or reliable design, which is probably why it went out of production prior to 1920. Primed it thick, sanded and painted it. Installed a new latch rod made of zincked steel. Other than painting on the secondary color, and pinstriping, this toolbox is now ready for action. Aside from stabbing my thumb with a piece of lead, it went pretty well I reckon! Thank you for reading, and have a Merry Christmas!

1607120364481.png

1607120556143.png

1607120629822.png

1607120741099.png

1607120868817.png

1607120940768.png

1607120993515.png
$28.50 in 1916, has the spending power of $680.83 in 2020.

Back