When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I vent for a second?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Had something similar happen a couple months ago. It's frustrating when the seller flakes or sells to someone else, when it was promised to you.

Friend and I were talking to a guy that was a 2.5hr drive away, he said he was getting out of bikes and letting stuff go cheap/bulk pricing. Were all excited and whatnot, said we'd be coming down to meet him. (he had a ton of them, straight bars, lightweights, middleweights. muscle bikes and tons of parts). After a 2.5hr drive we arrive to the town to say "We're here", the guy then messages us back and says "Sorry I'm busy shooting a music video today, maybe another time." He said this at 4pm...he had all day to message us back to say he wouldn't be available. He knew we were coming a fair distance the day before. Like it was a totally wasted trip. You'd think the guy would've known he'd be "busy" the day we were coming, doing his music video and say that the day wasn't a good day to go. I mean, you schedule that kind of stuff...it just doesn't happen out of the blue. It was frustrating.
O dude no. No way....i would have flipped my mind. If i make a 2.5 hour drive, im taking your soul back with me, especially as much work as it is to pack my wife and 8 year old in for a 2.5 hour trip MUCH LESS convince them to go in the first place.

I think most people can relate to depression at some point of their lives. I have and I do. It's a very real condition. Sorry to hear you are inflicted with it in such a severe way tacochris. This pandemic has affected many people in negative ways that were never expected to develop such depression, anxiety, and loss of control over their lives.
A bicycle or object is important ( I buy a ton on stuff because I'm a collector/ but part of it is to fend off depression) but not as important as life and health, friendship and Family. Make a list. What makes you happy and what is important in your life. It should be people and experiences not bicycles or guitars, cars or toys, which is what I buy when I get down. But I know it's just "stuff" and not all that important in the BIG picture. My Kids, my health, my relationships with friends, my G.F., dog Woody, and Family are WAY more important.

Focus on people more than things and you'll be fine.

I understand and certainly no offense taken.
I guess to word it a different way is sometimes things can be free...but then in the end can cost more than buying the same thing in better condition.
I have no clue how much a cycle truck is worth.
Who knows, sometimes things can be a "blessing in disguise".

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

I think most people can relate to depression at some point of their lives. I have and I do. It's a very real condition. Sorry to hear you are inflicted with it in such a severe way tacochris. This pandemic has affected many people in negative ways that were never expected to develop such depression, anxiety, and loss of control over their lives.
A bicycle or object is important ( I buy a ton on stuff because I'm a collector/ but part of it is to fend off depression) but not as important as life and health, friendship and Family. Make a list. What makes you happy and what is important in your life. It should be people and experiences not bicycles or guitars, cars or toys, which is what I buy when I get down. But I know it's just "stuff" and not all that important in the BIG picture. My Kids, my health, my relationships with friends, my G.F., dog Woody, and Family are WAY more important.

Focus on people more than things and you'll be fine.
I didnt mean for the thread to become a focus on my medical issues but since we're in that space I will lay it out a little better since I know most of the world is fairly unaware of the condition.
My sister and myself (and my mom before her suicide) all suffer from a condition called Severe Dysthymia coupled with severe anxiety (which actually is a result of the other). Its something Ive had since I was a kid in my adopted family and my mom tried all she could to help and would call them my "black cloud days". Being raised in an old school southern Baptist family, my family, siblings and peers assumed that I was depressed because I wasnt close enough to God or that I wasnt focusing on blessings and that it was all a matter of my mind and it was my fault that I was the way i was. My adopted parents had a very "suck it up" mentality so that coupled with the church thing basically made me feel like a freak my entire childhood. I would think constantly "whats wrong with me, why cant I be happy like other kids who are just blissfully elated for everything. God must be upset with me because I cant be that way....this is all my fault and its something Im not doing" Spending days on end, even in grade school wondering what the hell is wrong with you is no way to spend a childhood.
Flash forward to age 27 and I finally got to meet my birth sister after all those years of being apart and not even knowing her name. Long story short the more time we spent together, the more it became apparent we were exactly alike, down to the severe depression and suicidal thoughts and dark days. After she realized this she let me know that I wasnt a freak and that mom and her side of the family had what is called Severe Dysthemia which is basically mild to severe clinical depression that is due to your body and your chemical makeup and its entirely hereditary in nature. Needless to say, after 27 years of feeling like a freak and being told it was my fault I was feeling like I was, I finally realized I wasnt the problem at all and it wasnt my fault. It has bred acceptance in my heart and soul and now I spend my days combatting it now that I can see the issue.
I say all that to say, my issues are often confused with what I call situational depression (breakups, loss of job, covid 19) which is all fixed when said issue goes away. Sadly this is forever and my mom has already lost the battle and I am dead set on never giving up and keeping my sister above ground.
I hope this helps bring awareness to this issue and I really want to stress that I keep it well hidden and will appear normal to just about anyone and dont want to make people think Im a freak.
The bike thing is a coping mechanism for me and something Ive used and loved since my pre-teen years and its 10 times better than psychoactive drugs. One of the best drugs for this issue is keeping my hands busy and bikes/vws are that for me.
Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long.

To me I congratulate you Chris for your candor and keeping busy with bikes sounds like a great way of dealing with low serotonin. Maybe there are some natural things which would help as well.
There are so many aspects of bikes, collecting, repair, etc. Curious if you've thought about maybe making your own cycle truck bike (doesn't seem that difficult).
There are inexpensive bikes (Goodwill or thrift stores), actually free (our local dumpster site recently had two almost new someone tossed)...maybe repair and sell, or here at Christmas give to an underprivileged child?
I'm just tossing out ideas.
One thing is for sure...sounds like you're a normal nice fellow. Mentally ill people are like alcoholics..."I'm not an alcoholic", so you're normal. Don't let people think you're crazy for the bikes, otherwise every CABE member is crazy! [emoji6]
You're certainly not alone. My guess is all families have various problems. My brother and I were severely abused, he became an alcoholic.
Like you, I'd rather stay busy working on bikes and things.
We didn't ask to be abused, just like you can't help a hereditary chemical imbalance.
Take care...you and family MERRY Christmas!

I understand how you feel, I've had that happen to me several times as well. It's a drag, sometimes hard to get over especiallywhenthe seller pulls a number! Hang in there man, things tend to even out one way or another. Here's a story that was also hard to get over. Back in 1998, I received a call from an elderly lady saying she wanted to sell her late son's Schwinn Green Panther. Though she did not say what she wanted for the bike she said just for me to head over to discuss it, so I drove about 45 minutes to see it. I melted when she walked it out of her shed. It was covered in thick dust, but in nice condition. The lady told me they bought it new for her son at 13 yrs old, he rode it a while using it for his paper route, then bought a motorcycle. He parked the bike until he was drafted to Vietnam and unfortunately passed away a few days after landing in Vietnam. His mom later moved here to New Mexico from Kansas and listed the bike many years later. Bike was stored away some 40+ yrs. I loved it when I saw it but she shocked me by wanting $500. She said someone in Florida had offered to buy it for $500. I only had $200 on me but offered to get the rest of the $ but it in 2 days when I got paid. She said ok. I offered to give her the $200 as a deposit and she keeps the bike there until I return with the rest on Friday, but she declined said it wasn't necessary. I left with my $ feeling anxious not trusting the situation. Sure enough i get home and start husseling more money with the intent to go right back to buy it. I get a phone call about 30 minutes after getting home from the lady informing me she sold the bike. I was torked, pissed off that she didn't keep her word. She didn't apologize for not keeping her end of the agreement. A couple months later my hard copy of the CABE came in the mail, only to find the bike featured on the cover with the story. Not sure who ended up with this bike, maybe the person in Florida? Anyhow vowed from there on (if possible) to seize every presentable opportunity you get. Lesson learned-- Always pursue the deal quickly, have enough $ on hand, negotiate carefully not to offend. Attached is s pic of the cover of the CABE featuring the bike and the story. Kept the newsletter all these yrs.

20201215_204943.jpg

Yes I had a good friend who ran a business a few blocks from mine who one day showed me his 1949 Christmas present he still had, a Schwinn black panther he kept in a closet.
My understanding is that's the first year and they didn't make many. I offered to buy it but he said he promised it to his son who was in prison..."one day when he's paroled".
This was in the early 80s, we never discussed a price, I would have paid a lot it was in great condition.
I kept asking about it occasionally, his son was in for life. Then his wife passed. After that he gave up, lost interest in everything. He lost his business, home, etc. The city bulldozed the building, hauled everything to the landfill.

Yes I had a good friend who ran a business a few blocks from mine who one day showed me his 1949 Christmas present he still had, a Schwinn black panther he kept in a closet.
My understanding is that's the first year and they didn't make many. I offered to buy it but he said he promised it to his son who was in prison..."one day when he's paroled".
This was in the early 80s, we never discussed a price, I would have paid a lot it was in great condition.
I kept asking about it occasionally, his son was in for life. Then his wife passed. After that he gave up, lost interest in everything. He lost his business, home, etc. The city bulldozed the building, hauled everything to the landfill.

Sad story. So the bike was bulldozed with the house/landfill? Pity.

Back