When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refreshing an old lady Shelby

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
I couldn’t resist the price so got this 51 lady Shelby from fellow caber Kirk Thomas. I’m hoping to get the wife motivated into riding it but something tells me I will doing most of the riding on this one.
The gooseneck, truss rods and rims were painted over with a metallic grey greenish paint that polishes up almost like chrome. Using lacquer thinner I removed the paint from the gooseneck and truss rods revealing good chrome underneath.

I may strip the rims later on to remove the paint but wonder how the chrome will be under it. Right now it doesn’t look bad at all. Using Flitz the paint polishes up to almost a chrome like finish.

The paint is simply in amazing condition. Unfortunately a knuckle head in the past used a bunch of reflective tape covering up the hand painted pin striping on the fork. I read a thread here in the CABE about using a heat gun to remove the tape.

Using my heat gun and a plastic spatula the tape came off really easy. I then used Lift Off to remove the sticky tape residue .

Last edited:
Soaked the pedals in Evaporust and came out looking great. They had just tad of rust so nothing big. The ball bearings were replaced with new ones since some were either missing or rusty. I picked up new ones and a new chain at my LBS.
The rubber blocks got a soak in Simple Green as did the grips. The SG took off a ton of junk off the rubber blocks and the grips are nice and clean now.
I forgot to take before pictures but this is how the disassembled pedals look like and the clean white grips on the bar. I put on some old spare pedals I have just to ride around the block to check things out. I also serviced the front hub and the crank will be next.

I’m still playing around with this one. I matched the paint and touched up 4-5 nasty chips. The rest of the paint is in very good condition.
The chainguard had some of the chrome flaking off so I decided to strip the chrome and will paint the chainguard cream, blue and red pin stripes to match the tank and frame art. I really debated doing this but I felt the flaking and scratched chrome took away from the bike.
I replaced the chain and serviced the front hub and pedals. The New Departure rear coaster works and brakes perfectly so I just put some 30w motor oil in the small oil hole and closed it up.
The hub bearings looked new so I cleaned them and regreased them. The pedal bearings were shot so I got new ones at my LBS ($8) and re assembled the pedals and are like new now. The bottom bracket bearings will get serviced next.

Back