When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color was my Colson?

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
First time Colson owner, first pre war bike. Somebody, back in the mists of time, slopped what appears to be black semi gloss oil based paint of some sort on my Scout, which, was sold as a 1941. This bike features copious quantities of rust, a few parts did not survive dismantling. So, that someone may have saved the bike from being a total loss, anyway.
I did get the headset and stem out, and the fork told the tale. The bike was maroon when it was new.
Anyone have a good, clear shot of what the paint scheme looked like in 1941?
So far, so good, and thanks for any help!
Ted

F23D279F-8613-44F3-89DB-D36790D8705F.jpeg

3F2AEC87-7906-4D69-9018-37FEF70D36DE.jpeg

C73A4744-DE68-4ED4-8759-B63C6D1C874A.jpeg

Yes, I figured a Scout would have it’s own paint scheme. That image helps, thanks!

Ted

It was a good day.

A buddy called me over to his house, and handed off two 1” pitch skip tooth chains, a couple master links for same, and 4 drop center 26” wheels. The two painted rims are in great condition, and will blast up, paint, and build a nice set of wheels. The hub in the rear of the painted set is marked “Hawthorne”, and is a Perry, nice parts find. The other two rims are junk, but each has a D model New Departure hub, and one has the skip tooth sprocket I need. My friend gave me the stuff. That helps a lot.

That burgundy colored paint, I found on the steerer tube, will be killer when when the bike is repainted, by yours truly.

I have to do something about the seat, and find a few more parts, but, things are shaping up nicely. Many thanks to Kirby, who sold me the bike.

Ted

61548FCA-ED6C-41B1-9261-5CFD5A380AC7.jpeg

Were the Scouts sold without the chevrons painted on the fenders like the maroon bike pictured above has?
I seem to think I have seen a Scout or two with those chevrons on the fenders, in addition to the stripes, but, I didn’t know what year those bikes were. I suppose the Scouts could have ended up with fenders off higher end bikes, as the years went by.
Thanks for any help.
Ted

Saturday nights alright for fighting, or, working on your bike. Finished tweaking the chain guard mounts to get it where I think it should be, and cut and drilled pins for the drop stand. I just have to shorten them and the cotter pins up a bit.
I’m having a bit of a restoration epiphany, and thinking I should build a set of wheels of some sort, finish servicing everything, and just ride it as is for a while. I could do that after I roll the dents out of the fenders. I could spend time getting the actual wheels I am going to use painted and built and still enjoy the bike a bit.
Thinking. Thanks for setting me up with the drop stand, Mike.
Ted

ADBB688B-753E-4693-9391-B1F87DB5816F.jpeg

2B716050-DF56-4FFA-9188-8C37040FC7B0.jpeg

Back