When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1896 Schwinn "The World" Men's

-
Here is an other topic, searching for anything in 1898 and older by @Freqman1
https://thecabe.com/forum/members/freqman1.4154/

(1) Oldest Schwinn Privately Owned | All Things Schwinn | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabe.com)

And there's a photo that's particularly interesting that I have not seen noted before: The front chain wheel is not the same as shown in catalogs and such. Plus in background, right corner, appears to be forks hanging on something, two colored. Presumably, lower half of forks are Nickel plated. At right center; White tiers on the bikes. This photo is suppose to be 1895 but I have my doubts as to accuracy of that claim. . :

View attachment 1338783

(1) Oldest Schwinn Privately Owned | All Things Schwinn | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabe.com)
Anyone notice the face of the fella in the foreground was redone, not from the actual photo?

Unless the girls bike in the BMA has an earlier serial this is it. Although the bike in the BMA is identified as a '95 its actually at least a '96 and possibly a '97. It would be interesting to know if Schwinn started their serial number system with "1", "1000", or maybe "1001"? V/r Shawn

I just called over there and spoke to Ryan Long who very helpful-
He confirmed the women's "The World" in the BMA collection has the serial: "3051"

My guess is that photo is about 1897. At least a couple of the early bikes in the BMA are incorrectly dated. I believe Schwinn spent the last part of '95 setting up the factory and getting the business side situated in order to hit it hard for '96. V/r Shawn
Yeah, I would not object to that thought except, I do not find or see those chain rings in that assembly shop photo, on any Schwinn anywhere TOC or post too 1910. Not in any advertising or photographic images, other than its self, have you?

Last edited:
A couple more details of this machine-
The only damage I discovered was on the stem, it appears it was broken and repaired to the best of the shop ability, it is pretty globby and bent.
It has a very particular style of "key" that offers fine adjustment of the bar by removing and re-inserting at different keyed angles.
I would probably have gone about trying to repair the original but I happened to find a perfectly suitable match in my stash so it makes an easy replacement.

The brake I am convinced was not originally mounted to the bike. The bar clamp does not fit properly without a shim and the guide was crudely mounted to the underside of the fork, certainly not in tune with the quality of the rest of the build or other spoon brake assemblies I have worked on.

Bars and stem.jpg

bars and stem closeup for swap.jpg

Unless the girls bike in the BMA has an earlier serial this is it. Although the bike in the BMA is identified as a '95 its actually at least a '96 and possibly a '97. It would be interesting to know if Schwinn started their serial number system with "1", "1000", or maybe "1001"? V/r Shawn

A 1896 World bicycle with serial number 399 was reported stolen in November 10, 1896 issue of the The Kansas City (MO) Star newspaper:

Last edited:
Yeah, I would not object to that thought except, I do not find or see those chain rings in that assembly shop photo, on any Schwinn anywhere TOC or post too 1910. Not in any advertising or photographic images, other than its self, have you?
The chainrings look retouched to me too- but I could definitely be wrong. This is a really great thread and find!

Back