When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does your current project look like now?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
After several rides today with various bar and stem setups, I settled on a classic cruiser look. Rides nice, but will be even better once the 3spd gets hooked up and I find a better seat. Parts used include: Roadmaster fork, unknown truss rods, modern 3 speed Nexus wheelset, Wald dogleg crank, a sprocket from a 70s Free Spirit, early Wald stem, modern cruiser bars, Summit grips, Chair pedals, Wald heavy duty stand, and homemade solid stainless layback seat post.

GEDC3927.JPG

GEDC3928.JPG

GEDC3929.JPG

GEDC3930.JPG

I wanted to build a shiny 2 tone straightbar. I bought a frame and chainguard online and when it arrived i had to make a decision, keep it original or build the bike i want. Because the condition was nicer than i expected and my preaching that "It's only original once" i decided to clean it up and build a 53 Panther. I will partially get what i want as its getting painted fenders, locking springer forks and a front forebrake hub and possibly touch up existing pinstriping.

20210106_151002_Film3.jpg

Picked up a 56/57 Evans Commander 2 nights ago that was so cheap I couldnt say no. Turns out it has the worst bent fork ive ever dealt with and I decided it was safely unfixable since it was bent at the blade and not the stem.
Rather than run myself ragged trying to find a correct fork and front fender, I thru one on from a Schwinn along with the fender from the same bike and believe it or not it doesnt look all that bad despite not being correct. May patina match and call it done....
Next up is ditching those God-forsaken walmart wheels and tires...
First pic is the sad state I found it in....look at that fork!

O the horror!
evans1.jpg

Twisted more than a career politician!
evans2.jpg

After the Schwinn transplant it actually looks really good! May be a keeper!
evans3.jpg

Hey Tacochris,
I just had an Evans Tank bike frame set delivered a few days ago myself.
It’s not in as nice original shape as yours or prudently purchased as yours though.
I also replaced this ones old fork with a 24” blade fork from a garden bike I picked and parted a couple years ago.

The paint is an old bare metal non primed re squirt and showing some interesting original aging.
It has bare steel squared fenders and solid tank with horn unit to be tested.
It’s not that I need another bike or project, but when I see the potential of this tank relic, I begin thinking my final 5 riders could become six. Just Maybe.
I do also have an older Colson cousin in that group of 5...so..???.... Just Maybe.
Below is the first Evans that I rescued, fostered and found it a good forever home with a local Evans family.
I found it was a bit small as a rider and had concern about the tall seat post tube neck under my weight.
If I choose to build the red bike I won’t be quite as worried about too much.

I didn’t need to replace the fork on the red bike as purchased, but I wanted to try the Evansaction fork that I’d long searched for on another project that I have in the works.

(Thank you Kirk Thomas for this machine.)

...until I placed the projects beside each other just now, I had not thought of using these old bars as pictured.
Hmmm.... That might work.
I have to remove the soaking wedge from the steerer tube and meditate in the rest.
Powder coat, hydro plate, polish or paint the fork? Only time will tell.

(Thanks to RatRodz for the Duralium frame)

The Garden Bike

Last edited:
Hey Tacochris,
I just had an Evans Tank bike frame set delivered a few days ago myself.
It’s not in as nice original shape as yours or prudently purchased as yours though.
I also replaced this ones old fork with a 24” blade fork from a garden bike I picked and parted a couple years ago.View attachment 1342995
The paint is an old bare metal non primed re squirt and showing some interesting original aging.
It has bare steel squared fenders and solid tank with horn unit to be tested.
It’s not that I need another bike or project, but when I see the potential of this tank relic, I begin thinking my final 5 riders could become six. Just Maybe.
I do also have an older Colson cousin in that group of 5...so..???.... Just Maybe.
Below is the first Evans that I rescued, fostered and found it a good forever home with a local Evans family.
I found it was a bit small as a rider and had concern about the tall seat post tube neck under my weight.
If I choose to build the red bike I won’t be quite as worried about too much.
View attachment 1343007

I didn’t need to replace the fork on the red bike as purchased, but I wanted to try the Evansaction fork that I’d long searched for on another project that I have in the works.View attachment 1343015
(Thank you Kirk Thomas for this machine.)

...until I placed the projects beside each other just now, I had not thought of using these old bars as pictured.
Hmmm.... That might work.
I have to remove the soaking wedge from the steerer tube and meditate in the rest.
Powder coat, hydro plate, polish or paint the fork? Only time will tell.
View attachment 1343019
(Thanks to RatRodz for the Duralium frame)

The Garden Bike
View attachment 1343039
Man thats very cool to see someone else showin some Evans love! I originally pickup up mine with the intention of selling it to a friend, but as soon as i took it for a ride I fell in love and I never even told him, haha. Its become one of my best round-town beater cruisers! Heck I put about 6 miles on it tonight alone!

Got the wheels for my '76 Mizutani Super Seraph overhauled, laser trued, polished & protected in preparation for assembly. The bike (same as a Fuji Finest) originally came with tubular wheels/tires. Thankfully those were replaced with this interesting wheelset. Mavic polished rims on Schwinn approved rear hub made in France 2-74. Guessing it's a Maillard hub. Front hub is unmarked. Light wheels!! :)

Now to get the rest of the parts cleaned, polished, protected......

Back