When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Racer tire question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
mrg? I need some S-7 and also tires for my 1094 Le Tour. They're also 26, but 1 1/4. wonder if they're special too?
the 27"x1-1/4" tire you need should be pretty standard.schwinn rims were a tighter fit so make sure they're clean of any old rubber debris.slowly inflate the new tires and if they seem like they are not seating properly, use a spray bottle of soapy water and spray between the area where the tire meets the rim.again, inflate slowly spin the wheel and see where the tire may not be seating.good luck

Last edited:
IN NORMAL TIMES the proprietary Schwinn sizes aren't really as unusual or hard to source as folks often think. If they don't stock them, nearly any shop can get the S-5/6/7 sizes for you.

Right now all bets are off, though...

FWIW I like to sneak in 700c tubes with S-5/6s. Seems to help the bead seat easier- fewer dips to lube or pull out...

IN NORMAL TIMES the proprietary Schwinn sizes aren't really as unusual or hard to source as folks often think. If they don't stock them, nearly any shop can get the S-5/6/7 sizes for you.

Right now all bets are off, though...

FWIW I like to sneak in 700c tubes with S-5/6s. Seems to help the bead seat easier- fewer dips to lube or pull out...
Just a thought since you made me think of it... I tried some of that liquid silicone that comes in a bottle just like 3-in-1 oil. Found it in Home Depot several years back, its also in spray.
A lite bit on both sides on the bead all around and the tires seat themselves perfectly. Wipes up and shines the tire if there is any excess.
Too slippery for beaded tires though. Ive had the tires pop out of the bead while inflating. Perfect for all the early Schwinn tires with the flat bead surface.

They also make the Kendas in white wall, which seem to be occasionally imported and available. I was able to buy a set of white walls for S5 rims last year. The price was higher than usual, but I found a set. I went hunting on eBay and in some of the online shops, and eventually got a set. I have the black walls on a bike, and the white walls on another. Both are acceptable quality. I've never had the gums.

Just a thought since you made me think of it... I tried some of that liquid silicone that comes in a bottle just like 3-in-1 oil. Found it in Home Depot several years back, its also in spray.
A lite bit on both sides on the bead all around and the tires seat themselves perfectly. Wipes up and shines the tire if there is any excess.
Too slippery for beaded tires though. Ive had the tires pop out of the bead while inflating. Perfect for all the early Schwinn tires with the flat bead surface.

Windex does the trick and then evaporates.

I ordered a pair of 26 x 1 3/8 blackwall Kenda tires from my local bike shop, for 15.00 each.They were labled as a Sunlite product. It took two weeks for them to come in, but they were available. The 27 x 1 1/4 size is a standard size. You can even upgrade to a better tire in this size. Stay away from cheap gumwalls as they do not hold up. If you want a vintage look, try Panaracer Pacelas. They are a really nice tire that is still available in a 27" size.

I ordered a pair of 26 x 1 3/8 blackwall Kenda tires from my local bike shop, for 15.00 each.They were labled as a Sunlite product. It took two weeks for them to come in, but they were available. The 27 x 1 1/4 size is a standard size. You can even upgrade to a better tire in this size. Stay away from cheap gumwalls as they do not hold up. If you want a vintage look, try Panaracer Pacelas. They are a really nice tire that is still available in a 27" size.

Yes - I have 27 x 1 1/4 Pacelas on my Raleigh Clubman and they're great tires. The Col de la Vie Panaracers are also excellent in the English 26 x 1 3/8 (590mm) size, but are a little bigger than stock tires, so a tight fit in the fenders. I have a set of those on a Raleigh Sports, and they add a lot if you're going down dirt or cobble roads.

The proper Kenda 26 x 1 3/8 tires are called K23. Your local bike shop may have them but there has been a shortage due to the bike boom and Covid manufacturing delays.

Back