When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing broken head badge screws

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
So I’ve looked around in various forums on various sites and there is an abundance of suggestions and methods.

I’m looking for the “definitive best method “
for removing the broken off head badge screws.

mine are broken off roughly flush with the surface of the head tube with virtually nothing protruding inside.

Naturally my objective is to leave the original holes in as original condition as possible.
If my methods aren’t optimal, I run a greater risk of over-sizing the holes or altering the proper vertical orientation of my
Newly acquired (and overly coveted) Excelsior head badge.

So, what say you Cabers Who has the hot setup for this critical and delicate surgery?

Perhaps a bit shade tree mechanic style, but I used silicone. Cut the threads off some head badge screws and carefully affixed those too. Still holding up after 8+ years.

Like you, I was concerned about ruining original mounting holes. I also didn’t want reposition the badge higher or lower on the head tube.

Last edited:
Are the broke off screws brass ?
Unfortunately, I can’t tell. I bought the frame in primer. I feel that if I tried to sand the holes with the broken screw stubs, it will be such a tiny detail that both the steel head tube and ( possibly) brass stubs would be similarly shiny and I wouldn’t be able to distinguish the screw material from the steel frame - even under magnification.

However, your question has piqued my curiosity; What method would you use if the broken screws WERE brass ?

Well Brass is a real soft metal , i had similiar situation and i took a set aand i carefully tapped the remaining screw into steer tube .... it didn't mess up threads . I used the set to intially bond break threads on screw , then used thin but strong diameter trim nail to punch it through... the soft brass threads collapse when struck ... If screw is brass this works ,,,

Well Brass is a real soft metal , i had similiar situation and i took a set aand i carefully tapped the remaining screw into steer tube .... it didn't mess up threads . I used the set to intially bond break threads on screw , then used thin but strong diameter trim nail to punch it through... the soft brass threads collapse when struck ... If screw is brass this works ,,,
Well, it looks like I’m going to have to determine, one way or another, it the broken screws are brass or steel.
‘Fingers crossed they’re brass...

Thanks for the tip !

Heat it up first with a torch, let it cool, then drill a small hole in the middle and use an easy out with good penetrating oil. Sometimes just drilling a small hole in the middle will be enough to loosen it and it will unscrew itself.

Drill and tap new holes in the snapped off screws but make very sure you get them centered. Use very small drill bits and go up in size a little at a time. Tap new threads and done. First you will need the replacement screws to determine correct hole size and then you will have to come up with a tap for the correct thread size. Take your time and pay attention to what your doing. If you mess up weld holes shut grind smooth and start over until you get it right. Not exactly rocket surgery here. LOL!!

I'm pretty sure the original badge screws are not brass. They're a self tapping sheet metal screw. With that said, I'd punch them in with a finish nail set.

Back