When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you use

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Is there a special tool that you use to turn the adjusting screws in the rear forks of those vintage bikes? They have a square head on them so a socket doesn’t work. They’re in a place that even a small Crescent wrench doesn’t work. Channel locks chew them up and are too big to get any movement with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ed

Yep...these little buggers (ignition wrenches) may not be as common as they once were, but both the open and box ends will fit over a square-head fastener.

s-l1600.jpg

@saladshooter Once you mentioned 1/4”, I had a thought. I took a long extension for my 1/4” drive ratchet, turned it around and fit the female end over the adjuster. I then took the handle from my tap and die set and clamped it on the male end of the extension (or you could use a 1/4” box end wrench.) Plenty of room between the chain stay and the seat stay to do 360 degree turns saving a lot of time. Of course that’s with no tire on the bike. But, in my tap and die set I have a racheting handle for the taps; that should work well with a wheel stalled. Works well unless some previous owner has buggered up the square drive on the adjuster.

I believe that the dog-bone wrenches have the square drive on one end; might fit some, but not all?
And torque may be applied by inserting and turning a rod-like lever in the other wrench holes.

For removal, there is always the Dremel tool and flat screw-driver method, say, when the drive ends (or both) might be broken off.

Last edited:
Wrenches are wrenches...... Just some are thinner than others.... If the correct size doesn't fit in the slot, youd'e have to make it thinner- grind/sand/modify..... Plus+ once you have them, they go in your bike arsenal!
Hex head/square head......So a normal wrench, or an adjustable wrench.......Always a sacrificial laying around. Grind to fit, then always there for the specific need!:sunglasses:

Back