When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Whizzer Question

-

Ron Nichols

Look Ma, No Hands!
These are probably dull questions but I gotta ask. Whizzer stuff. I have a forties bike and was told when I bought it that it had "the dimpled frame". What exactly is that? Second bit, it seems the springer on my bike is larger. I'm told the spokes and rims should also be beefier. My understanding that Schwinn did not start factory building Whizzers until 1949 (mine is a 1945 I think). So third question, did the owner specify to the store that they wanted a 'Whizzer ready" bike to be fitted by that dealer in order to get the beefier bits?

The short answer is yes.

The Whizzer kit was sold, so that a bike shop could modify an existing bike to accept the kit.
There were patterns and instructions for dimpling the frame, and notching the fenders to allow the proper clearance for the final drive belt.
The various manufacturers started providing Whizzer ready models by the late 40’s, making it easier to adapt the bikes for motorization.

Where is the dimpling done. I have the template for and have cut the fenders per for the belt but I am still curious where and why and what 'dimpling of the frame' is all about. Must be a clearance issue for the belt?

The dimpling is on the inside of the lower frame leg. On the side with the belt.

Here's a snap of my frame. The left (belt side) frame extension appears to NOT be cylindrical. Is this it?

Likely the dealer did this?
If it had a Whizzer kit installed It Could have been the dealer or owner. Hard to Really say without seeing how detailed it is .... some can reproduce results that you wouldn't know otherwise but every frame is different. Whizzers can be put on a lot of bikes if you're willing & got the skills/tools & shooting for a professional install

Back