When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

selling off collection on Ebay

-
I've been on eBay over 20 years. EBay now charges 10% of the gross sale, the sum of the final selling price plus shipping. It's 12% for media (books, DVDs, etc).

PayPal charges 2.8% plus a $0.30 transaction fee. You can refuse to accept PayPal, but it's on you to set up your payments with another vendor. No one is free.

With shipping rates as high as they are now and buyers expecting free of very low shipping costs (thanks, Amazon) be prepared to lose on shipping.

If you're going to start at $1 be very thoughtful about when you list. If it's a 7 day listing don't let it end on a holiday, or the Superbowl, or whatever. No one will be watching and you'll lose big.
Oh yeah, free shipping is almost a "norm" on Ebay now. Shipping a shoe box size parcel to Japan from Canada was about $75.00++ ( usually a toy car I sold) where as from the Continental U.S. it was maybe $22.00. USPS has been subsidized ( less now) for decades on postal rates. Not Canada. As far as when it ends, I thought weekends were best ( unless vacation time in Summer) but not holidays, mind you travel is cut back and most people use internet connected cell phone and can bid from anywhere.

Happy hour ( to early evening) is always a good time to end an auction. The alcohol ( for those who imbibe) factors into bids and fogged decisions!! Ha!! Some people just get the "I have to win this/competitive zone" and as a seller you are smiling as 2 or 3 people have that attitude. I'm not really competitive, but have bought lots after a few brew and "I really need this" where I really don't. Ha!!

Last edited:
Happy hour ( to early evening) is always a good time to end an auction. The alcohol ( for those who imbibe) factors into bids and fogged decisions!! Ha!! Some people just get the "I have to win this/competitive zone" and as a seller you are smiling as 2 or 3 people have that attitude. I'm not really competitive, but have bought lots after a few brew and "I really need this" where I really don't. Ha!!

This is true! I can't tell you how many things I sell late Friday and Saturday nights! =-D

ok. no Ebay for me ... hell no on 10% fee when I do all the work and probably lose on the sale and shipping as well
not in it for the $$ but there is a limit on how much I lose .... might as well store it all and let the kids deal with it in 30 years
thanks for the comments.

I sell a lot on eBay. They have just moved away from PayPal and will deposit directly in your bank account. I also use Craigslist and Facebook. I am doing best on Facebook these days, but eBay does allow bidding whereas with the others you have to set a price. Facebook is free for local pickup, but if you ship, they charge a fee.

Shipping can be a pain and expensive, plus packing. I have used Greyhound to ship large items. It's cheaper and reliable. I have a bus station 5 minutes from my house, so that makes it easier for me. You can do the transaction on line and just drop it off.

I just sold an early 80's Schwinn Pixie locally. I didn't want to ship it, so I didn't use Cabe. I just picked up a Windsor Oxford 3 speed today that a neighbor was giving away. It's not that old, but I will be cleaning it up and selling it. Ebay may be the best way to go, but don't like to think about shipping. I could get a box from a local bike shop. I will need to think about it.

Some of my fees on flebay have been 20%-25% they are very greedy..labels printed thru PayPal have about 3% charge.

Back