When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thursday Memory Lane

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm sure that seller was in a hurry to get unloaded and then he must have organized and set everything up after that shot was taken. :p

1620436553774.png

I didn’t take a ton of pictures today but this guys addiction is honestly just impressive. Spotted a skylark, monark 5 bar which was carefully laid in the truck bed, schwinns, higgins, elgins etc in this guys pile. At least 50 bikes!View attachment 1406325
View attachment 1406326

View attachment 1406327
John that was actually his 3rd load they got close to 200 bikes and they're heading south of the border. It was definitely nice meeting you and your dad. Hope you guys had a safe trip home. Those guys come to every Memory Lane show and do the same thing everytime.

Sean

Last edited:
John that was actually his 3rd load they got close to 200 bikes and they're heading south of the border. Those guys come to every Memory Lane show and do the same thing every time.
I don't understand this. Are they buyers for a major collector? Are the bikes all going to be restored? The bikes are all going to Mexico? Everything about this, including throwing all the bikes in a pile, makes zero sense to me. Hoping someone can fill in the blanks. Thanks

I don't understand this. Are they buyers for a major collector? Are the bikes all going to be restored? The bikes are all going to Mexico? Everything about this, including throwing all the bikes in a pile, makes zero sense to me. Hoping someone can fill in the blanks. Thanks
Evidently they have a market down there because I've seen it every year. A few years ago I came up behind them on the interstate as we were heading south and it looked like the Beverly Hillbillys with stuff strapped on and hanging over the sides! They don't buy just junk either always a few nuggets in there. V/r Shawn

Three self imposed rules I try to abide by.
First, do no harm.
Second, try not to damage them any more than they’ve already been,
Third, hopefully hand them off to the next caretaker, better than you found them.
Apparently, these guys don’t abide.

So they show up with, what, $25,000 cash? I think that's a conservative estimate. They buy 200 antique bikes at an average of $125 ea and they're actually making a profit flipping them in a developing nation where over 40% of the population lives in poverty? I find it difficult to believe.

Also, thinking of the roughly 1,000 nice old bikes leaving the US every five years makes me a little queasy.

Back