When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another big policy change at Ebay

-
I suppose I have conformed, I am still buying and selling, within the confines of their policy. Not sure what you mean by " diecast sales will take a hit" I keep adjusting the price and they keep selling. maybe they will put a special tax on them. Until then I'm just a foot soldier marching to their orders. I can quit anytime with no penalty though.
Oh I hope you didn't take offense, I'm sorry if so.
Sometimes I can sound like a dick but I dont mean it.
You just mentioned you sell die cast cars there so that's what I mentioned.
Im not saying anyone that stays in bays system is one way or another. How people feel about Ebay really depends on a lot of factors. As you know, some love Ebay, some dont. Its always been a great way to get rid of clutter for me. I create alot of clutter... :)
I really dont know if I have the gumption to start selling stuff in other places, there are alot of other places. Ebay was pretty comfortable. I'll probably slowly disappear under a pile of dirty old "garbage" until the hoarding reality show knocks on the door.. :)

Last edited:
It's a shame what Ebay has become from what it used to be. IDK why they adoped this "Ef our sellers" attitude. They should have split themselves into 2 separate entities, one where they are trying to be Amazon and one where they are the worlds yard sale. Trying to hold sellers of used and antique items to the same standard as somebody who's hawking new items is just not fair. If I'm buying something that's 80 years old I am willing to accept that this is a buyer beware situation. And if I'm selling something that's 80 years old I am sure as hell not going to give a warranty with it. There does seem to be a blank spot right now for used items. Facebook Marketplace has turned craigslist into a cesspool of crap listings and now it seems like even the FB marketplace listings are mostly just weird ads for things I have no interest in. It's so rare to find a genuine listing for something worth buying. It's definitely taken the fun out of the hobby wading through all this crap.

Last edited:
It's a shame what Ebay has become from what it used to be. IDK why they adoped this "Ef our sellers" attitude. They should have split themselves into 2 separate entities, one where they are trying to be Amazon and one where they are the nation's yard sale. Trying to hold sellers of used and antique items to the same standard as somebody who's hawking new items is just not fair. If I'm buying something that's 80 years old I am willing to accept that this is a buyer beware situation. And if I'm selling something that's 80 years old I am sure as hell not going to give a warranty with it. There does seem to be a blank spot right now for used items. Facebook Marketplace has turned craigslist into a cesspool of crap listings and now it seems like even the FB marketplace listings are mostly just weird ads for things I have no interest in. It's so rare to find a genuine listing for something worth buying. It's definitely taken the fun out of the hobby wading through all this crap.
Its true, there are so many places now, it takes an hour or two just to look through them all. Ive bought things off FB Marketplace, Craigslist and Offerup locally. But there are more.

Maybe we'll have to resort to taking some vacation time from work, plan trips to various bike shows and breath some life back into our hobby. Some of my best memories involve Memory Lane, Ann Arbor and some smaller shows I attended in my area. I always met great people, saw things I had never seen before and usually came back with some treasure. At a bike show, you can look over what you are buying and deal directly with the party selling it. I think enthusiast sites, like this one, are a good source for us, as well. When I started in the hobby, ther was no internet and you researched and networked with other collectors on the phone and by pictures sent in the mail! I remember driving down the street peeking into everyone's garage, if it was open. Ha! I actually scored a beautiful 50's two tone blue girl's Shelby Flying Cloud for 60.00. This was in 1983.

ebay started sucking around 2008. surprised I am the only one that noticed. maybe it was ebay motors only at that time, but they added the "fits" thing so when you search for 1949 Chevrolet parts 20,000 seat covers and assorted general car nonsense would come up. this is also when the default search became "best match" where if you had the wrong keywords your item was never even seen on the first page. I parted out 49 - 54 Chevrolets, as well as various car parts I'd get at swap meets and just anything old and collectible.

I would have 30 - 50 items listed at any given time, if I left the house and came back I had bids. it was constant. there were other people selling 49 - 54 parts as well. I parted complete cars and sold everything that was usable. hundreds of listings per car. then it just dried up.

my "canary in a coal mine" was my Hot Rod photo CD's. the West Coast Customs show in Paso Robles and the Nostalgia Drags at Bakersfield were the top sellers. I sold photos of other shows as well.. 15 -20 a month, then NOTHING. I found if I put NHRA in my drag CD's I'd sell a few.

this was the time when Amazon was taking off and the guy running the show thought he was going to be their competition. what a moron.

it was great while it lasted.

Back