When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI Fresh Storage Auction find

-
There are "bubbles" and trends when it comes to collectibles. Does anybody remember Cabbage Patch Kids or Beanie Babies? Better yet, how about Treasure Hunt Hot Wheels. Collect what you like because YOU like it, not as in investment. I have a good friend that had a beautiful Sting-ray and non Schwinn hi rise collection, and when he liquidated it, he broke even or took a loss.
The difference here is that these old bikes, especially in this condition, really are truly RARE. The Cabbage Patch Kids, Beanie Babies, modern Hot Wheels etc are specifically made to be collected, so even when they are made in "limited" numbers, it's still just an illusion. After a while, they are on the shelf at the Goodwill where they belong. I'm not expert on Schwinns, but sure seems to me that this bike should be worth every penny of $12k. If it's not, then our hobby is cheap.

The difference here is that these old bikes, especially in this condition, really are truly RARE. The Cabbage Patch Kids, Beanie Babies, modern Hot Wheels etc are specifically made to be collected, so even when they are made in "limited" numbers, it's still just an illusion. After a while, they are on the shelf at the Goodwill where they belong. I'm not expert on Schwinns, but sure seems to me that this bike should be worth every penny of $12k. If it's not, then our hobby is cheap.

and like with everything old or antique....Condition is everything....that bike is incredible...maybe cleanest
example of model and year known?

12k lol… good luck with the saleeeee…
12K should not be a big deal to the deeply pocketed....
Check ebay for completed auctions /sold...say...GI Joe, Star Wars, Hot wheels, various toy auctions, other collectibles..etc
pure insanity in the money spent...
Rare bikes are too rare for the masses to even know about... there in lies the 'rub'.

Sports cards are the same way. I used to collect them as a kid and received two packs of basketball cards in my stocking for Christmas 1986. I opened them up and found a Michael Jordan rookie card. Didn’t really think much of it at the time. A year later I went with my dad who always traveled for our family automotive business to Chicago. I spent the day alone on the L train going to museums (crazy to think about that now!) came back to the room later for dinner and my dad had a basketball. He said he met a nice guy at the convention that gave him a basketball that he signed (my father did not know one player in any sport), I looked at the ball and it was signed by Michael Jordan. I kept the ball and my card together for a very long time until a collector purchased both a few years back.

Sports cards are the same way. I used to collect them as a kid and received two packs of basketball cards in my stocking for Christmas 1986. I opened them up and found a Michael Jordan rookie card. Didn’t really think much of it at the time. A year later I went with my dad who always traveled for our family automotive business to Chicago. I spent the day alone on the L train going to museums (crazy to think about that now!) came back to the room later for dinner and my dad had a basketball. He said he met a nice guy at the convention that gave him a basketball that he signed (my father did not know one player in any sport), I looked at the ball and it was signed by Michael Jordan. I kept the ball and my card together for a very long time until a collector purchased both a few years back.
.... and I hope you were finally able to buy the correct OG lens for your B6 fenderlight with the money...!

12K should not be a big deal to the deeply pocketed....
Check ebay for completed auctions /sold...say...GI Joe, Star Wars, Hot wheels, various toy auctions, other collectibles..etc
pure insanity in the money spent...
Rare bikes are too rare for the masses to even know about... there in lies the 'rub'.
Someone here should start a professional bicycle grading service. We could send our bikes in and have them graded and encased in plexiglass...then we could compete with the card, comics and toy collectors.

Get your education on what is truly rare or scarce before you buy. I also collect rare coins and back in the mid 90's i had a chance to buy CC#2 1817 one cent piece for $1200. At the time i thought the price was ridiculously high, so i passed. Well, in 2010 that coin and i crossed paths again and i bought it @$3500. I sold the coin 2 years ago for $5,000. Nice original stuff (no matter what you collect) will always be in demand so take the time to learn first before you part with the cash.

The bike in question looks like the real deal to me, so if i was offered it and wanted it, i would step up with confidence that i could get my money back, and then some, down the road. Nice bike indeed!😃

I watched the video of the storage locker find. Cool that the guy found it. Sad for the guy that didn't pay the locker fees....or his family if they exist.

Like I said before....limited markets for everything....older we get the more will be found....

Not like the bike was the only treasure found in that storage unit...just the one that most interests us here.

As for family or friends of the previous owner....it was just a locker full of junk....not worthy of keeping the bill paid.

Video:

Last edited:
Back