When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Regarding the girl's cruiser, the serial number on the girls frame begins with CR, so I assumed it was an 81 and the badge # is 1220. Wouldn't that date it in 81 of August? I might have that wrong. Regarding the chestnut Cruiser Deluxe, it came from an estate sale where the owner bought it new at our old local Schwinn shop. He later changed the seat for comfort and replaced the tires so I doubt the springer was added later.

View attachment 1557000
Yeah, easy tell of year on a head badge in 80's is the last number: Zero is a 1980. . If last number is a 9 or 1 then, respectively, 9 is an 79 and 1 is 81. As for the deluxe, it should have sloppy weld on the pivot tube B/C, now that u, as most people usually do, are showing the chain guard then yeah duh it's correct . However to note: moreover, the deluxe wasn't made until 81 [Edit: 1980] and I think there's some in 82 too. . An 80's Schwinn Springer is very difficult to find yet it seems that, without taking it apart to find Schwinn marks on steer tube, they can usually be identified because of the little sloppy weld on the pivot tube, B/C it's a little sloppy. Yet, if U want to know for sure, that nobody changed it, because Knock offs from the 60's 70's and other periods also had a little sloppy, or well balance welding. So, I mean, when in doubt, pull the steer tube for Schwinn types of marks.

However, now U showing the chain guard, it's probably, mostly likely Schwinn's Springer.

Last edited:
Yeah, easy tell of year on a head badge in 80's is the last number: Zero is a 1980. . If last number is a 9 or 1 then, respectively, 9 is an 79 and 1 is 81. As for the deluxe, it should have sloppy weld on the pivot tube B/C, now that u, as most people usually do, are showing the chain guard then yeah duh it's correct . However to note: moreover, the deluxe wasn't made until 81 and I think there's some in 82 too. . A 80's Schwinn Springer is very difficult to find yet it seems that, without taking it apart to find Schwinn marks on steer tube, they can usually be identified because of the little sloppy weld on the pivot tube, B/C it's a little sloppy. Yet, if U want to know for sure, that nobody changed it, because Knock offs from the 60's 70's and other periods also had a little sloppy, or well balance welding. So, I mean, when in doubt, pull the steer tube for Schwinn types of marks.

However, now U showing the chain guard, it's probably, mostly likely Schwinn's Springer.

The Deluxe Cruiser first came out in 1980, and the early versions had the Spitfire frames. The 1980 catalog pic actually shows one with the Spitfire frame. The Deluxe Cruiser was sold in 80 & 81. And the fork on that Deluxe is a Schwinn fork!

foreal? when i see them for sale i see them sometimes bent badly i like the look but now i don’t want it and i’m fine using my three spring 1995 schwinn seat that is super padded 😆

5542379C-1ADE-4482-A99D-DB61A045DE5E.jpeg

I think they are real comfortable but Schwinn didn't exect all the kids to be jumping them ( not suppose to be sitting on the seat when you land ) so in late 80 Persons reinforced them by stamping some ribs in the frame, always funny when you see someone selling one as a 50's and it has those ribs!

Back