When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just picked up today 1957 Schwinn hornet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looks to be all original to me, can any of the pros here tell me if anything stands out as not being original? FYI I flipped the bars just because I prefer the look. I know it’s not everyone’s taste haha but I dig it

View attachment 1594448

View attachment 1594449

View attachment 1594450

View attachment 1594451

View attachment 1594452
I like the flipped bars as well. I also run my stems down all the way, as well as the seat post. I have been known to take the guts out of the seat and drill a hole right through the seat post tube and mount the seat directly to it. Gets about another 1 1/2 "s lower. Nice bike you have.

Were the rims painted on the regular hornet? I have a 58 boys and girls with painted rims.

The Hornets had painted rims until the models were revamped as middleweights and with the new 1959 styling. As far as I know there were no 1958 catalogs or any info on the 58 models, but there have been two M-December 1958 Hornets that I've seen that had chrome rims, and a built-in kickstand. A December stamped serial number would be on a bike that was produced during the next year and it seems the Hornets had there new make over for 1959 a tad bit later than all the other models. Here's @HARPO 's 58 Hornet that was built in 1959 but it was using all the 1958 components with the exception of the chrome rims, built in stand and the new style seat post clamp. So technically this 1959 Hornet was built with most of the 1958 specs.

1648326132558.png

Last edited:
I like the flipped bars as well. I also run my stems down all the way, as well as the seat post. I have been known to take the guts out of the seat and drill a hole right through the seat post tube and mount the seat directly to it. Gets about another 1 1/2 "s lower. Nice bike you have.
Ive always put my seat down as low as I can too. I never thought of drilling the post to get lower though that’s a cool idea. I really think the slammed look sets these bikes off! Appreciate the message. Glad I’m not alone with the flipped bars haha

The Hornets had painted rims until the models were all revamped with the new 1959 styling. As far as I know there were no 1958 catalogs or any info on the 58 models, but there have been two M-December 1958 Hornets that I've seen that had chrome rims, and a built-in kickstand. A December stamped serial number would be on a bike that was produced during the next year and it seems the Hornets had there new make over for 1959 a tad bit later than all the other models. Here's @HARPO 's 58 Hornet that was built in 1959 but it was using all the 1958 components with the exception of the chrome rims, built in stand and the new style seat post clamp. So technically this 1959 Hornet was built with most of the 1958 specs.

View attachment 1595447
Appreciate the info, someone earlier had mentioned that my wheels are not original anyways. Likely they were taken from a 60s model bike and put on this one as an upgrade. It has a 2 speed kick back red band hub. When I typed my serial into the Schwinn serial # lookup tool it came back as a 57 but I’m not sure how accurate that is. My kickstand is not built in to the frame it is a clamp on setup.

33B3FE68-A9FC-4965-8481-64BB3C30FA37.png

Were the rims painted on the regular hornet? I have a 58 boys and girls with painted rims.
Yes mine are not original from what I’ve been told. When I look up 57 hornets it seems to be mostly painted but I do see a few with chrome rims which made me think originally that they might be stock

Back