When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Hi cabers it’s been awhile, I need some help, I found a 36h front aTom drum but I don’t know if it’s authentic or customized from a rear drum. The plate that holds the cable and attaches to the fork is correct but the other side doesn’t have those 2 little slits on it. Here pictures if anyone can tell me which one is real.
Thanks in advance

Hi cabers it’s been awhile, I need some help, I found a 36h front aTom drum but I don’t know if it’s authentic or customized from a rear drum. The plate that holds the cable and attaches to the fork is correct but the other side doesn’t have those 2 little slits on it. Here pictures if anyone can tell me which one is real.
Thanks in advanceView attachment 1619922
View attachment 1619923
The one with the 2 little slits is a front as these are for a speedometer drive, the rear will not have them.

I found this pic on FB from the early 80's in Hermosa Beach, Calif. with a Schwinn Cruiser sporting the full "Grab-On" pads that were popular back in the day for the strand cruising beach crowd! This is where I spent countless hours fishing from the pier, roller skating, and cruising the strand on my bikes back in the day!

View attachment 1617097
Some of them were my classmates, we bought bikes at your shop on aviation

Back in the day while working at the Schwinn dealer the Spitfires & Cruisers were one of our top sellers. I built, customized, and sold lots of them during that era. One of my favorite bikes was a black Spitfire. I owned a couple back in the day, and eventually sold them to my friends when I started building custom MTB's. I have been casually looking for another black Spitfire in good condition, and finally got one the other day.

It is in great condition, but does not have the correct handlebars on it. I will need to find a handlebar for it, preferably with a 77 date code to keep it a numbers matching bike.

And an FYI for everyone, the cost of shipping has gone up considerably. With this purchase, Bikeflights was the only available shipper since Shipbikes is still offline restructuring for the use of UPS as their shipping agent.

Here are a couple pics of the bike, 1977 Spitfire

Last edited:
I am confused on how you think you were getting scammed? Both hubs are authentic.
Basically I don’t want to pay the going price for an original front hub when it’s not original, it’s a rear hub modified(cut down) to look a front hub. If the seller states the truth and lowers the price then yea your not getting burned on your purchase.

I recently purchased this 24" 1978 / '79 Schwinn SPITFIRE, original Flamboyant Red paint.
Serial Number LPxxxxxx Nov. 1978 Stamped, Badge # 1779, June 26, 1979
I purchased it from John Trexler, owner of Anchor Bay Bicycle & Fitness, New Baltimore, Mi.
From new, John built this bicycle when he worked at Jake's Bicycle Shop in Harper Woods, Mi.
The rear wheel was custom built using a Campagnolo Record High-Flange Rear hub and adding a Suntour two-speed 18T Low / 23T High Gear Cog, combining it with a Suntour V short cage derailleur. The crank is an aluminum Stronglight 3-piece set and a 51T sprocket. The left brake lever controls the two-speed shifting and the right lever controls the rear brake. Awesome combination with quick takeoff and super top-end speed.
I had aspirations of bringing this bicycle back to it's original "coaster brake" condition, but after riding and enjoying, it would not be the proper thing to due after being this way for 43 years.
Rode this bicycle about 10 miles today and it rolls like a dream, flawless.
True Keeper in my Collection.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Last edited:
I posted this 1979 spitfire in this thread about a month ago when I got it. The rear wheel had locked up, because the grease had petrified. I’m pretty sure I’m the first person to ever regrease any part on this bike. I got both hubs, headset, and bottom bracket all working as they should. I also replaced the foam grips with some black schwinn ones. At some point someone had installed solid tubes. Once I got them cut off I threw on a pair of felt quick brick tires. Still needs a good wash, wax, and polish, but it’s a rider. I have a 20t cog on the way to replace the 18t. Probably one of the best riding bikes that I own. I had originally bought this bike to flip, but I think it’s staying with me for a while. I like that it’s only a few months older than me.

BA71D681-2578-4057-B3E4-5CFD0FE4E59D.jpeg

Back